UiO has bilateral relations with South African partner universities in a wide range of subjects and at all faculties. Today South Africa is seen as a strong research partner on the African continent, and is a popular destination for UiO students.
UiO has various forms of educational cooperation with South African universities:
- The UiO Centre for Entrepreneurship sends students to the University of Cape Town (UCT) to learn about social entrepreneurship.
- The Faculty of Medicine at UiO and the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at Stellenbosch University have a long history of cooperation, including student exchange as well as video lectures.
- UiO master's students in dentistry aquire clinical training at the University of Western Cape (UWC).
- A joint European Doctorate in Law and Development (EDOLAD) was introduced in 2015 with a number of European partners, including the Faculty of Law at UiO, and with North-West University as the South African partner.
UiO is investigating new ways of obtaining a balanced student exchange with South Africa. Erasmus+ International Mobility of students and staff starts from 2016 with UCT and UWC. UiO will also assist the University of Pretoria building up local capacity and knowledge on carbon capture and storage through a series of courses taught by UiO staff in South Africa.
UiO and its South African partners have many common research interests and co-publish within areas ranging from astrophysics, geology, climate change and medicine to education, cultural variations in languages, history and religion. UiO cooperates with all the prestigious universities as well as a number of disadvantaged institutions in South Africa.
UiO has considerable researcher-to-researcher cooperation with South African partners. Examples of UiO staff with adjunct positions at South African institutions are:
- Prof. Peter Maassen (Education, Stellenbosch University)
- Prof. Trond Torsvik (Geosciences, University of Witswatersrand)
- Ass. Prof. Per Ditlef Fredriksen (Archaeology, University of Cape Town)
Examples of research projects
In addition there are larger projects with external funding from the Horizon 2020 programme, the Research Council of Norway and the South African National Research Foundation.
- Under Horizon 2020 UiO cooperates with Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University on a project related to health informatics, the mHealth4Afrika Project.
- Historical Ecology and State Formation in the Shashi-Limpopo Region in Southern Africa: A Cross-Disciplinary Approach is a project undertaken as a collaboration between the University of Oslo and the University of Cape Town, with funding from the research councils in both countries.
- The Research Council of Norway and National Research Foundation have a joint funding programme focusing on climate change and energy called SANCOOP, of which UiO is involved in four projects. The MultiLing Centre of Excellence at UiO is coordinating an INTPART project with several South African partners.
Did you know that...
- In 2015 UiO sent 43 exchange students to South Africa?
- UiO has cooperated with partner institutions in South Africa since 1994?
- In 2015 a large delegation of the UiO leadership travelled to South Africa to further strengthen the existing ties?
Get in touch
Office for International Relations and Research Support
Collaborate with our researchers
Would you like to cooperate with us and our researchers in various projects?