Absence from compulsory activities
If you are ill or have another valid reason for being absent from compulsory activities in courses at the Faculty of Social Sciences, you may apply to get your absence approved or the compulsory activity may be postponed. For academic reasons, you may be required to complete another mandatory activity to replace the activity you have been absent from.
What is valid absence?
Valid reasons for absence include the following:
- If you, or a person for whom you are the primary caretaker, are ill
- Death of a close relative
- Other weighty reasons outside of your own control
Note that the application form for absence from compulsory activities is intended for shorter absences. If you have a disability, long-term illness or special needs you may apply for special adaptation.
Requirements for documentation
- Compulsory activities that require physical attendance: You may use a self-notification for absence from compulsory activities that require physical attendance until 1 September 2022. This is due to the corona situation.
- For absence or need for a postponed deadline from all other compulsory activities (where physical attendance is not required): Thes must be documented with a doctor's certificate or other relevant documentation. You must upload documentation in the online form.
- If the absence is due to colliding examinations at the University of Oslo (e.g exam colliding with obligatory seminar), upload a screenshot from Studentweb with exam information as documentation.
The documentation must:
- be original or certified copies
- confirm absence/illness for specified dates (from date until date)
Deadline for applying
- Within three days after the absence or deadline for submission of the compulsory activity.
- If the deadline expires on an official holiday or during the weekend, the deadline is extended until the next working day.
In the case of serious illness, the faculty may give an exemption from the deadline.
How do I apply for valid absence?
- You must submit the online form and upload documentation for all bachelor level courses and master level courses at the Faculty of Social Sciences.
- If you cannot attend a mandatory seminar or seminar with mandatory activities, you must also contact your seminar leader.