Get your admissions requirements and application deadline for this programme by following our guide.
Check your admission requirements and when to apply
Answer three questions in our admission guide to get
your application deadline
which documents to submit
access to the application portal Søknadsweb
Selected program requirements (visible to UiO employees only)
You must have a bachelor’s degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor’s degree.
Required specialization and minimum grade requirement
You must have a minimum grade average comparable to a Norwegian C in the required specialization. A Norwegian C is described as a good grade, generally comparable to an American B and a Second Class Upper in the British system. We do not use conversion tables for foreign grades. All foreign education is individually evaluated during the admission process.
Please note that eligible applicants who fulfill the minimum grade requirement will compete for a study place. Please see the section on ranking for more information on selection criteria.
- A major or specialization constituting at least 80 ECTS credits in Human Geography or Urban and Regional Studies.
- Up to 20 of these 80 ECTS credits may be replaced by a bachelor's thesis in development studies, constituting at least 20 ECTS credits.
For students who have completed their bachelor's degree at the University of Oslo, the following forms the basis for admission:
- A 90-group in Human Geography OR
- A completed bachelor's programme in Development Studies (UTV) with a specialization in Human Geography.
- For applicants who have completed the interdisciplinary Bachelor's programme in Development Studies, the basis for admission is: SGO1001, SGO1900, SGO2302, SGO2400, SGO2500, SGO3300 and UTV3091 (bachelor's thesis). If you were admitted to the programme before 2012, previous versions of these courses will form the basis for admission.
Ranking of applicants
Selection is based on your academic performance in the required subjects for this programme.