Semester abroad

Students who choose to write a 30-credit master’s thesis can have up to one semester (30 credits) of an exchange stay at a foreign university recognized. This gives you the opportunity to expand your international competence and adaptability.

If you want to take part in a student exchange, it is recommended that you do this in the third semester because otherwise it will be difficult to complete the compulsory courses held in the preceding semesters. For the same reason, it is recommended that you do not include an exchange stay if you intend to write a 60-credit master’s thesis. In that case, the third semester will largely be devoted to work on the master’s thesis (20 credits). 

Many exchange agreement options

Department for Sociology and Human Geography has several interesting exchange agreements (Norwegian site) specifically catered to human geography students.

UiO has many exciting exchange agreements (Norwegian site) globally that you can take advantage of. 

Specific recognition of periods of study abroad

If you want a semester you have spent abroad to be recognized as part of your master’s degree, the following criteria apply for course options in the exchange semester:

  1. The courses must be at master’s degree level.
  2. The courses must not overlap with other courses you have taken or will take as part of your degree.
  3. The courses must be theoretical courses in human geography (Master’s in human geography/Geography), or courses relevant to your own master’s thesis.
  4. Language courses are not recognized.

When you have been awarded a place through an exchange agreement:

  1. Start checking for courses you can take at the university you will attend.
  2. When you have decided what courses you want to take, submit an application for prior recognition. You need such recognition to confirm that the courses you intend to take abroad are academically relevant to the master’s degree.
  3. Send an email with the course code, name and the number of credits (ECTS, credits, units) to

If you wish to have exchange courses recognized as compulsory courses in your degree, you must enclose detailed information about the course you wish to take, such as the reading list and course description.

When you return at the end of your exchange stay:

  1. Submit a credit transfer of foreign education at the end of your stay so that credits can be transferred to your degree at UiO.
Did you find what you were looking for?
Published June 14, 2016 3:32 PM - Last modified Sep. 26, 2017 10:47 AM