GEO4270 – Integrated basin analysis and prospect evaluation
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
- Integration of different disciplines/data types (seismic, well data)
- Definition of main problems (basin/reservoir)
- Examples/exercises affiliated with field/seismics
- Use of modern tools (interpretation/visualization)
- Quantative analysis (basin modelling)
- Integrate geological and geophysical data in different scales (basin, field/prospect and reservoir) and build models that will be used in numerical modeling
- Acquire knowledge on the basic principles, possibilities and limits related to different modeling tools (basin modeling, reservoir modeling)
- Be able to use modeling results to illustrate important geological processes related to basin formation and evolution together with maturation and migration of oil and gas
- Identify potential traps/reservoirs that may contain oil/gas and use both seismic and well data to construct a reservoir model
Level of skills:
- Master basic principles and techniques related to numerical modeling
- Get insight into standard workflows for exploration used by the petroleum industry
- Integrate and discuss own results, published data and research results by means of a written report and an oral presentation
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Recommended previous knowledge
Error: java.lang.NullPointerException, Error: java.lang.NullPointerException
- 5 credits overlap with include:ref: null
- 10 credits overlap with include:ref: null
Introductory lectures and projects focusing an acquiring practical skills, oral presentations and written reports.
Attendance at the first lecture is compulsory. Students who fail to meet, are considered to have withdrawn from the course unless they have previously given notice to the Study administration, email address: email@example.com
Final oral exam which counts 100% in grade.
Language of examination
In this course any written exam questions or assignment questions may be available in English only.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more:
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.