Schedule, syllabus and examination date

Choose semester

Teaching and exams spring 2022

In light of the most recent infection control regulations, we will at the start of the spring semester 2022 increase our online teaching, while we at the same time try to maintain in-person teaching where this is possible. We hope to go back to more in-person teaching later on in the semester. You will be informed about any changes in teaching or examinations on the semester page, in Canvas or through your regular channels.

Read more about postponed exams for the autumn semester 2021.

Course content

The course deals with when and how IT management, and IT governance, can help organizations reach their goals. The curriculum is a mix of theory and practice papers, and covers:

  • How does the interplay between people, processes and technology affect the adoption and application of IT in an organization?
  • What are typical frameworks and tools used to understand and manage IT within and between organizations?

During the semester, we will study current theory on why some organizations succeed with IT management and IT governance, and we will highlight some of the most significant challenges they need to overcome. Furthermore, we will discuss some common management tools which are used to understand and improve the current situation within an organization’s IT portfolio, e.g. frameworks and methods for IT governance, project management and enterprise architecture. We will also cover briefly the characteristics of agile change management methods such as DevOps and continuous delivery.

Learning outcome

After you have completed the course you will be able to:

  • describe typical challenges related to IT management and governance, project management, change management, and enterprise architecture in organizations.
  • present and discuss typical tools to meet these challenges.
  • discuss the challenges of inter-organizational and national IT governance
  • perform basic business process mapping
  • discuss how a given organization's processes, systems and structure may affect its efficiency, its ability to change, and to what extent it is prepared for innovation

Admission to the course

Students admitted at UiO must apply for courses in Studentweb. Students enrolled in other Master's Degree Programmes can, on application, be admitted to the course if this is cleared by their own study programme.

Nordic citizens and applicants residing in the Nordic countries may apply to take this course as a single course student.

If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures for international applicants

IN2150 – IT in Organizations and IN5210 – Information Systems

Overlapping courses


2 hours lectures and 2 hours seminars per week.

First lecture is mandatory


The home exam is 40% of the final grade (this assignment itself consists for 3 different submissions and must be passed the same semester as the final exam). The final written exam constitutes the remaining 60%. Both must be passed individually. The home exam must be passed to be allowed to take the final written exam.

It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: IN5430

Grading scale

Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.

Resit an examination

Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester. Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.

Special examination arrangements, use of sources, explanations and appeals

See more about examinations at UiO

Last updated from FS (Common Student System) Jan. 18, 2022 10:17:28 PM

Facts about this course

Teaching language