MAE4112 – Multilevel Models
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
In this course you will get acquainted with the fundamental theories and application of multilevel models. The focus will be on using these methods for applied research. You will also gain practical competency in statistical software for analyzing data.
The course covers the following key topics
- multilevel data structures
- variance components
- ecological fallacy
- random intercepts and random slopes
- recognize the general principles of multilevel models
- understand the key assumptions that underlie these models and methods
- understand what violations of their assumptions can mean for model selection and associated inferences.
- select, apply, and interpret the results of a multilevel model that is appropriate for the data and the research question at hand
- test key assumptions and offer possible solutions to violations
- write up the results of an analysis in an appropriate way
- analyze data with help of existing statistical software packages
- demonstrate a facility with multilevel modeling to answer well-defined research questions
- interpret published scientific research that uses these models and methods
- evaluate the tenability of associated inferences and knowledge claims
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
Prior knowledge at or equivalent to MAE4000 Data Science
This course combines lectures and computer labs with data analysis tasks in statistical software environments.
Obligatory course components:
- computer lab participation and completion of computer lab exercises
The exam consists of a 4 hour individual written examination covering all course material and topics.
You need to have successfully completed the obligatory course components before being allowed to sit the exam. If you do not fulfill these requirements, you must submit a written request to apply for an additional assignment prior to sitting the exam. The application must document stated reasons for absence beyond your control.
The written examination is conducted in the digital examination system Inspera. You will need to familiarize yourself with the digital examination arrangements in Inspera.
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
In accordance with the UiO quality assurance system, the course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.