INF5181 - Process improvement and agile methods in systems development
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
The principal goal of this course is to provide a solid basis for participating in and managing the software development projects of an organization and improving the processes involved. After fulfilling the course you:
- understands the fundamental of modern development processes, including Lean and agile methods,
- knows the characteristics of various development processes and their effects and
- may contribute to effective organization, performance and improvement of system development processes.
At the end of the course you will have acquired the knowledge and skills as follows.
You have gained a good understanding of
- Lean and agile principles in systems development,
- principles, frameworks and methods for development projects and
- measurements and empirically-based knowledge as basis for software process improvement.
You have acquired the skills that make you a professional and able participant and organizer in
- Lean and agile development projects, and in
- the process improvement work within an organization.
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with INF5180 - Software Product and Process Improvement in Systems Development (discontinued)
- 10 credits overlap with INF9181 - Process improvement and agile methods in systems development
- 8 credits overlap with ITLED4220 - Prosessforbedring og smidige metoder i systemutvikling
- 9 credits overlap with IN 331
The teaching is dialogue-oriented and with a practical approach (few "correct" answers). There will be two hours lecture and two hours group teaching with practical tasks per week. A central part of the course is to deliver a "project task" in groups of 2-4 persons. This project task is a document that describes a specific improvement plan for a hypothetical or actual business.
This course has digital examination. The project assignment is an independent, individual work to be delivered two times. Project assignment counts for 30% and the written exam counts for 70 %.
Both assignment and oral exam must be passed in the same semester.
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
The project assignment must be written in Norwegian or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: IN331 and INF5180.
It is strongly recommended to attend the first lecture since it will be given important information.