IN5140 – Smart processes and agile methods in software engineering
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
The course will give a solid fundament for participating in and manage the software projects of an organization and for improving the way such projects are conducted.
After fulfilling the course you:
- know the fundamentals of development processes, principles and methods, and their effects
- know the basics of smart processes in systems development, which will usually include Lean and agile principles,
- understand the relationship between quality of software projects and the quality of the systems that are being developed
- know principles, frameworks and method for improvement of development processes,
- have obtained an understanding of measurements and empirical-based knowledge as a basis for development of high-quality IT systems,
- will be a professional and skilled participant and facilitator in a team that develop IT systems.
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with IN9140 – Smart processes and agile methods in software engineering
- 10 credits overlap with INF5181 – Process improvement and agile methods in systems development (continued)
- 10 credits overlap with INF9181 – Process improvement and agile methods in systems development (continued)
- 10 credits overlap with INF5180 – Software Product and Process Improvement in Systems Development (discontinued)
- 10 credits overlap with INF9980 – Product and Process Improvement in Systems Development (discontinued)
- 8 credits overlap with ITLED4220 – Prosessforbedring og smidige metoder i systemutvikling
- 9 credits overlap with IN 331
2 hours of lectures and 2 hours of group tuition per week.
The teaching method is dialogue oriented and practically oriented (the subject has few "defined" answers).
In teaching, emphasis is placed on discussing the project assignments. This submission is a document that contains a concrete improvement plan for an imagined or real business.
It is highly recommended to attend the first lecture as it will be given important information.
This subject has a digital exam. The project assignment consists of two submissions. Assessment of both submissions counts 30%. 4 hours written digital exam counts 70%. Both submissions and the exam must be passed in the same semester.
The written examination is conducted in the digital examination system Inspera. You will need to familiarize yourself with the digital examination arrangements in Inspera.
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses:
IN9140 – Smart processes and agile methods in software engineering, INF5181 – Process improvement and agile methods in systems development (continued), INF9181 – Process improvement and agile methods in systems development (continued), INF5180 – Software Product and Process Improvement in Systems Development (discontinued), INF9980 – Product and Process Improvement in Systems Development (discontinued), ITLED4220 – Prosessforbedring og smidige metoder i systemutvikling, IN 331
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.