IN5140 – Smart processes and agile methods in software engineering
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Exams after the reopening
As a general rule, exams will be conducted without physical attendance in the autumn of 2021, even after the reopening. See the semester page for information about the form of examination in your course. See also more information about examination at the MN Faculty in 2021.
The course will give a solid fundament for participating in and manage the software projects of an organization and for improving the way such projects are conducted.
After fulfilling the course you:
- know the fundamentals of development processes, principles and methods, and their effects
- know the basics of smart processes in systems development, which will usually include Lean and agile principles,
- understand the relationship between quality of software projects and the quality of the systems that are being developed
- know principles, frameworks and method for improvement of development processes,
- have obtained an understanding of measurements and empirical-based knowledge as a basis for development of high-quality IT systems,
- will be a professional and skilled participant and facilitator in a team that develop IT systems.
Admission to the course
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with IN9140 – Smart processes and agile methods in software engineering.
- 10 credits overlap with INF5181 – Process improvement and agile methods in systems development (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with INF9181 – Process improvement and agile methods in systems development (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with INF5180 – Software Product and Process Improvement in Systems Development (discontinued).
- 10 credits overlap with INF9980 – Product and Process Improvement in Systems Development (discontinued).
- 9 credits overlap with IN331.
- 8 credits overlap with ITLED4220 – Prosessforbedring og smidige metoder i systemutvikling.
2 hours of lectures and 2 hours of group tuition per week.
The teaching method is dialogue oriented and practically oriented (the subject has few "defined" answers).
In teaching, emphasis is placed on discussing the project assignments. This submission is a document that contains a concrete improvement plan for an imagined or real business.
It is highly recommended to attend the first lecture as it will be given important information.
This subject has a digital exam. The project assignment consists of two submissions. Assessment of both submissions counts 30%. 4 hours written digital exam counts 70%.
Both submissions and the exam must be passed in the same semester.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses:
IN9140, INF5181, INF9181, INF5180, INF9980, ITLED4220, IN331
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester. Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.