MEVIT4892 – Self-composed course IV - Media Studies
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
A self-composed course is either a subject composed by the student or a subject previously offered by the Department of Media and Communication or other Departments/institutions.
The student is responsible for finding a supervisor for their self-composed course and the supervisor should be an employee of the Department of Media and Communication.
The student is to submit a short course description and a syllabus to the Department of Media and Communication for approval. The project should already have been approved and signed by the supervisor.
Deadline to submit the description and syllabus is October 1 in autumn semester and March 1 in spring semester.
The course codes for self-composed courses for 10 credits each are MEVIT4897 and MEVIT4898, while for 20 credits are MEVIT4892.
Which course should you choose?
- MEVIT4897 is for students that are taking their first self-composed course (10 credits)
- MEVIT4898 is for students that are taking their second self-composed course (10 credits)
- MEVIT4897 and MEVIT4898 is identical courses
- MEVIT4892 is a course of 20 credits
Students may take up to two self-composed courses (i.e. up to 20 credits).
When the course is finished the student is expected to know how to:
- To formulate a problem question
- To search for, read and understand scientific literature
- To account for and discuss scientific literature within a limited area, in an independent and critical matter
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge within the chosen field
- To write in an academic genre, with a clear delimitation and problem question, with a scientific reference work, and with an understandig of how to reference to other scientists' work as opposed to own opinons and conclusions.
- To work independently with a scientific study
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Admission to this course is only for degree students in Nordic Media or Media studies.
The student is responsible for finding a person able to supervise the Project, and must present a short course description that contain:
- A title
- A problem question
- Produce a syllabus of 800 - 1000 pages that the student has not been examinated in previous.
If the subject has been offered earlier, the student may use the existing description and syllabus.
The supervisor will approve of the course description and sign the Application form for a self composed course. The application and attachements is to be handed in to the Department of media and communication for approval.
The deadline is 1st of March in the spring semester and 1st of October in the autumn semester.
It is required that students work independently. Students are themselves responsible for finding a supervisor for the term paper at the Department of Media and Communication.
The students are entitled to three hours of supervision, but it's a premise that the students work independently. The student is responsible for obtaining a supervisor. The available options will vary from semester to semester depending on the capacity of our scientific staff and of the theme of the paper.
A term paper of 20 - 30 pages. One page is equivalent to 2300 words, excluding spaces.
Use of sources and citation
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.