MUS2605 – Popular Music Studies
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
This course gives a thorough introduction to central questions and topics in popular music research. There will be an emphasis on cultural theory, approaches to musical analysis, gender and identity theory, aspects of groove, sound, and production, as well as general perspectives on the study of popular music.
On completion of the course, students will:
- be familiar with central questions and terminology in popular music research
- be acquainted with different analytical approaches to popular music
- be able to apply analytical models across styles and genres
- be acquainted with different approaches to popular music in cultural theory
- have improved their skills in making written and oral presentations
- have been trained in developing research questions and using them as a basis for written texts
- be able to relate the course literature to relevant research traditions
Formal prerequisite knowledge
Admission to the University of Oslo
The teaching consists of 8 double class periods of lectures and 12 periods of seminars. Attendance is obligatory. A written, two page obligatory qualifying assignment, as well as an oral presentation, must be approved by the course tutor in order for a student to take the final exam.
Term paper (10 pages of approximately 2.300 characters each, spaces not included), to be handed in by a specified date at the end of the semester, on a topic agreed between student and instructor.
Submit assignments in Inspera
You submit your assignment in the digital examination system Inspera. Read about how to submit assignments in Inspera.
Use of sources and citation
Language of examination
You may write you examination paper in Norwegian or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
Alle rapporter fra periodisk evaluering av IMVs emner er samlet på instituttes studiekvalitetssider