MUS4605 – Research Seminar in Popular Music
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
This module offers a specialisation in popular music studies and extends many of the issues addressed in earlier modules in the field. Consisting of eight double-hour lectures, the module addresses central themes relating to various theoretical premises found in popular music research. This module is linked to ongoing projects in popular music research conducted by staff working within the field.
On completion of the module you will
- Gain an insight into the central terms and theoretical issues of the research field, with specialisation in an area of popular music studies that is highly relevant today
- Apply various theoretical and methodological approaches with a high level of critical reflection
- Provide relevant interpretations of texts relating to music, gender and culture
- Achieve training in the development of a hypothesis that relates directly to expressing your ideas
- Further develop your skills in academic writing and verbal articulation
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
Ingen obligatoriske forkunnskaper utover generell studiekompetanse.
The course is divided into 8 double hour periods of lectures and 4 double hour periods of seminars. In order to sit for the exam, each student must make one obligatory presentation which must be approved by the instructor.
The exam consists of a term paper (15 pages of 2300 characters each, spaces not included), with title and topic as agreed between student and instructor.
Submit assignments in Inspera
You submit your assignment in the digital examination system Inspera. Read about how to submit your assignment.
Use of sources and citation
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
Alle rapporter fra periodisk evaluering av IMVs emner er samlet på instituttes studiekvalitetssider