IN5450 – Array Signal Processing
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
Autumn 2020 the exams of most courses at the MN Faculty will be conducted as digital home exams or oral exams, using the normal grading scale. The semester page for your course will be updated with any changes in the form of examination.
The topic is spatial signal processing with emphasis on imaging systems and direction of arrival estimation. The course put emphasis on the difference between spatial and time domain signal processing. It provides an in-depth review of classical and adaptive array processing techniques in time and Fourier domain and give an overview of their use in different application areas.
After completing this course, you will have an understanding of:
- Apertures and Arrays: Finite apertures, resolution, spatial sampling and arrays of discrete sensors, sidelobes and grating lobes.
- Beamforming: Delay-and-sum and frequency-domain beamforming, array gain and effects of finite accuracies.
- Adaptive beamforming: Optimization of beampattern, eigenanalysis methods, and how to assess the algorithms performance.
- Applications: Examples will be given from acoustic imaging, synthetic aperture sonar/radar, and tomography among others.
Admission to the course
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Recommended previous knowledge
INF3470 – Digital signalbehandling (continued)/INF4470 – Digital signalbehandling (continued), MAT1120 – Linear Algebra, IN1910 – Programming with Scientific Applications/IN1010 – Object-oriented Programming and IN4010 – Acoustic Imaging
- 10 credits overlap with IN9450 – Array Signal Processing.
- 6 credits overlap with INF5410 – Signal processing in space and time (continued).
- 6 credits overlap with INF9410 – Space-time signal processing (continued).
4 hours of tuition per week that will be a mix of lectures and plenary review of exercises, etc.
The mandatory assignments must be approved prior to the exam. Approval of a mandatory assignment is only valid for the same year as the assignment is submitted. Rules for mandatory assignments.
Oral Exam (or written if the number of students is high).
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: IN9450 – Array Signal Processing
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester. Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.