IN5480 – Specialization in Research in Design of IT
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
Autumn 2020 we plan for teaching and examinations to be conducted as described in the course description and on semester pages. However, changes may occur due to the corona situation. You will receive notifications about any changes at the semester page and/or in Canvas.
Spring 2020: Teaching and examinations was digitilized. See changes and common guidelines for exams at the MN faculty spring 2020.
This course gives the basis for a specialization within a research theme in the area of design of information systems. The theme may vary every year. The course covers research literature within the chosen theme so that students get a good basis for writing their Master thesis within the particular specialization. The aim is that the Master thesis can contribute to the research in the Design group. The course emphasizes a theoretical understanding as well as practical experiments within the chosen theme.
After you have completed this course you are able to:
- Explain important concepts within the research field
- Compare and contrast the research theme with other parts of the larger field it is part of
- Describe particular frames for design grounded in the research field
- Illustrate the research field’s particular perspectives in concrete design suggestions
- Analyse and evaluate your own and other people’s design suggestions with concepts from the research field
Admission to the course
There are a total of 12 spots in this course. Ranking rules:
- Master´s students in the study program Design, Use, Interaction with the topic in the approved study plan, and which writes a thesis on the theme of the year
- Master´s students in the study program Design, Use, Interaction
- Bachelor students in the study program Design, Use, Interaction with single subject study at Master, who in previous courses (e.g. INF1510/IN1060 or INF2260) have written a project assignment within the theme of the year
- Students at IFI who in previous courses (e.g. INF1510/IN1060 or INF2260) have written a project assignment within the theme of the year
Recommended previous knowledge
- 5 credits overlap with INF5207 – Advanced Specialization in Design of Information Systems (continued).
- 5 credits overlap with INF9207 – Advanced specialization in design of information systems (discontinued).
2 hours lectures.
Submission of compulsory assignments is required. Read more about requirements for submission of assignments, group work and legal cooperation under guidelines for mandatory assignments.
A large written report counts 100%.
To be able to take the exam, all compulsory assignments in the subject must be approved and approved during the same semester.
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester. Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.