IN5540 – Privacy by Design
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Privacy by Design is a fundamental requirement of the GDPR for all systems operating on personal information. This course provides an introduction to privacy and data protection legislation including the GDPR, privacy enhancing technologies, privacy management, designing for privacy, and privacy patterns in software design.
After completing this course, you will:
- have knowledge of basic legal privacy concepts and data protection regulations
- have knowledge of security and privacy enhancing technologies
- have knowledge of concepts of privacy by design and privacy impact assessment
- have knowledge of principles of architectural tactics for privacy and privacy patterns
- be able to map legal privacy principles to technical privacy concepts
- be able to relate security and privacy goals to mechanisms and technologies
- be able to apply privacy by design and perform privacy impact assessments
- be able to apply appropriate architectural tactics for privacy and privacy patterns
Students admitted at UiO must apply for courses in Studentweb. Students enrolled in other Master's Degree Programmes can, on application, be admitted to the course if this is cleared by their own study programme.
Nordic citizens and applicants residing in the Nordic countries may apply to take this course as a single course student.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures for international applicants.
Max. 50 students, ranked accordingly for those with the course in an approved study plan:
- PhD-students at IFI
- Master-students at Informatics: Programming and System Architecture, programme option Information Security
- Master-students at Informatics: Programming and System Architecture, other programme options
- Master-studenter at other master programmes at IFI
Recommended previous knowledge
General knowledge about information security (e.g. IN2120) and system design (e.g. IN1030)
10 credits overlap with IN9540 – Privacy by Design
2 hours of lectures and 2 hours of group work per week
Home assignments and presentation counts 40% toward the final grade, with a final written digital exam counts 60%
Both exams must be passed in the same semester
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: IN9540 – Privacy by Design
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.