MAT4160 – Topics in Geometric Modelling
The course gives an introduction to some classes of functions that are well suited for representation of curves and surfaces with respect to properties and computational algorithms. Some relevant types of functions are Bezier curves and surfaces, subdivision curves and surfaces, and barycentric coordinate methods.
After completing the course you:
- have a good understanding of important geometric properties like geometric continuity and curvature;
- have a good understanding of the properties and theory behind concrete classes of functions like Bezier curves and surfaces, subdivision curves and surfaces, barycentric coordinat methods;
- can program effectively some of the relevant function classes;
- can make use of relevant classes of functions for solving concrete problems within geometric modelling;
- are able to extend to your knowledge in geometric modelling on your own;
- can communicate science to colleagues professionally, both in written and oral form.
Students admitted at UiO must apply for courses in Studentweb. Students enrolled in other Master's Degree Programmes can, on application, be admitted to the course if this is cleared by their own study programme.
Nordic citizens and applicants residing in the Nordic countries may apply to take this course as a single course student.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures for international applicants.
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with INF4360 – Topics in geometric modelling (discontinued)
- 10 credits overlap with MAT-INF4160 – Topics in Geometric Modelling (continued)
Final oral examination.
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.