ENT4200 – Startups in practice - Entrepreneurship
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
This course gives you first-hand experience with entrepreneurship. You will take part in the daily life of a start-up company, and learn from and contributing to their entrepreneurial journey. The course takes place outside of Norway in cities like Boston, Houston, San Francisco, Singapore or Toronto.
After you have completed ENT4200, you will:
- understand the nature of start-ups and how you deal with living with uncertainty and working in an ever changing environment
- have deep practical knowledge within one or more of the following topics, including working with relevant software tools:
- strategic positioning and business model selection
- building the required team
- market research and marketing/sales
- harvesting options
- building and utilising a professional network of people
- be able to search for and identify relevant information for a specific work task or issue
- be familiar with communicating in English on a range of business topics
- understand the importance of teams; of their dynamics, of recruiting the right people, of team and company management
- have a deeper understanding of working in an international environment
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
Recommended previous knowledge
You will work full-time 4-5 days a week in a local company for 9 weeks. In addition, there will be 2-4 classes during your work period with discussions and mentoring on important or challenging issues experienced, and 1-2 individual meetings with a mentor.
There are two components of mandatory assignments:
- 80% attendance requirement
- 2-4 individual written assignments
Written report and presentation about the company, lessons learned and suggestions.
You will be assessed based on the two following parts:
- Final written individual assignment (count 70 %)
- Final individual presentation and examination (count 30 %)
The exam takes place in local destination.
Mandatory assignments must be approved prior to the exam. The mandatory assignments and the final examinations must be passed in the same semester to pass the course.
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: ENT4220 – Norwegian Practical Start-up Experience, ENT4360 – Student Venture Creation Project
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
As this course takes place abroad, you must have travel insurance. Specific coverage requirements from the university abroad or visa category may apply.