ECON3710 – Demography of Developing Countries
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
The course includes a description and discussion of infectious diseases, girls' excess mortality, AIDS, urbanization, migration, factors behind fertility decline (in addition to those addressed in ECON1710 – Demografi - grunnemne and the impact of population growth on food production, environment and economic development (in more detail than in ECON1710).
You should know
- how to apply a simple linear regression analysis to demographic data
- the basic ideas of indirect estimation/stable population theory
- the factors of importance for the mortality development and pattern, determinants of and consequences of urbanization, some important international migration flows, consequences of population growth, and how fertility may be reduced
You should be able to
- use the knowledge obtained in this course, with the support from additional literature, to formulate demographic arguments related to mortality, fertility, migration and population growth
You should be able to
- follow economic reasoning related to the course, for instance when reading professional reports
- recognize the difference between well founded knowledge and weakly founded opinions
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Recommended previous knowledge
10 credits overlap with ECON4710 – Demography of Developing Countries (discontinued)
The course will be taught in Norwegian if no English-speaking students attend the course.
Lectures: 2 hours per week throughout the semester.
Seminars: 2 hours per week through parts of the semester.
Computer course: 2 hours per week through parts of the semester.
A 3-hour written school exam.
Examination support material
Students may use dictionaries at this exam. Dictionaries must be handed in before the examination. Please read regulations for dictionaries permitted at the examination.
Language of examination
The problem set will be given in English and Norwegian. Answers can be given in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or in English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
If you are sick or have another valid reason for not attending the regular exam, we offer a postponed exam later in the same semester.
See also our information about resitting an exam.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.
ECON3710 – Demography of Developing Countries (discontinued) is the course code for registration for lecture, seminar and exam for the bachelor's students.
ECON4710 – Demography of Developing Countries (discontinued) is the course code for the master's students.