ECON4140 – Mathematics 3: Differential Equations, Static and Dynamic Optimization
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
- differential equations
- concave and quasi-concave functions
- multiple integration
- nonlinear programming
- optimal control theory
- difference equations
- dynamic programming.
You should know
- linear algebra (linear independence, rank and eigenvalues)
- calculus and static optimization (multiple integration, concavity, quasi-concavity, nonlinear programming)dynamic optimization (difference equations and discrete-time dynamic programming
- differential equations, calculus of variations and continuous-time optimal control theory)
You should be able to
- use problem-solving skills to a greater extent than ECON3120 / ECON4120
- apply new theory and problem-solving techniques for static and dynamic optimization
- understand at a deeper level why the techniques from ECON3120/ ECON4120 work, and understand at an intuitive level why the new techniques of ECON4140 work
This course should enable you to
- read and understand the notation and analyses of a wide class of models in the scientific literature, including foundational topics in microeconomics
- formulate and formalize a wider range of models than what is covered in ECON3120/4120
- analyze such models in your own academic work, for example in analyses that are part of the master’s thesis
Students admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
Students not admitted to the Master’s programme in Economics or the Master’s programme in Economic Theory and Econometrics (Samfunnsøkonomisk analyse), can apply for admission to one of our study programmes, or apply for guest student status.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
You must fulfill one of these prerequisites:
- Bachelor's degree in Economics, or equivalent.
- ECON3120 – Mathematics 2: Calculus and Linear Algebra / ECON4120 – Mathematics 2: Calculus and Linear Algebra, or equivalent.
Recommended previous knowledge
- Students who do not have ECON3120 – Mathematics 2: Calculus and Linear Algebra / ECON4120 – Mathematics 2: Calculus and Linear Algebra, or equivalent are advised not to take this course.
- 10 credits overlap with ECON4145
- 10 credits overlap with SØK450 Matematikk for økonomer
- 10 credits overlap with ECON301A Mathematics
- 6 credits overlap with MAT2310 – Optimal control theory (discontinued)
- 6 credits overlap with MAT2440 – Differential equations and optimal control theory (continued)
Lectures and seminars.
A 3-hour written school exam.
The school exam in this course is conducted on paper. You use carbon paper which is handed out in the examination room. You retain one copy, while the rest is handed in.
Examination support material
Resources allowed: Open book examination where all printed and written resources, in addition to calculator, are allowed.
There are two calculators allowed for examinations:
- Aurora HC106 - a very simple calculator with most basic functions
- Casio FX-85EX - a scientific calculator with 274 functions
All other calculator types will be rejected. The calculators are checked in the exam room. There is no opportunity to lend the calculator of fellow students.
You can buy the calculators at Akademika bookstore at Blindern, or online.
The same general rules for cheating also apply when using calculator.
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English.You may submit your response in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
If you are sick or have another valid reason for not attending the regular exam, we offer a postponed exam later in the same semester.
See also our information about resitting an exam.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.