MAE4011 – Principles of Measurement
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
In this course you get acquainted with the foundational theories and concepts in measurement.
The course covers the following overarching topics:
- Fundamental issues in measurement
- Technical and statistical foundations in educational measurement
- Testing applications and interpretations
- understand the basic principles of measurement, particularly as they pertain to classical test theory, including reliability and validity
- understand why and what we measure in education and related social science
- problematize classical and contemporary issues around educational measurement, including the metric of measurement and sources of error
- use classical test theory techniques to evaluate the quality of test data and to produce basic scale scores for examinees and survey respondents
- interpret test scores
- apply the basic principles and procedures of statistics and measurement theory to educational and psychological measurement
- incorporate the evaluation of the adequacy of reliability and validity evidence into decisions regarding the use of educational and psychological measurements
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
All students in the Assessment, Measurement and Evaluation Master program have equal access to the course. Other qualified applicants may be considered if there is capacity.
Contact email@example.com if you want to apply for a place in the course. If you are unsure of whether or not you have sufficient prior knowledge, please let us know about your background and previous courses you have taken.
Important: in the autumn of 2021, we cannot give admission to students from other programmes due to limited space in the teaching rooms.
Ph.d. candidates can apply for the Ph.d. version of the course: UV9291
Recommended previous knowledge
It is recommended that you take MAE4000 Data Science parallell to this course.
This course combines lectures, seminars and computer labs with data analysis tasks in statistical software environments.
Obligatory course components:
- 80% attendance requirement for the lectures
- participation in seminars and computer labs
- completion of three individual written assignments
The exam consists of a 4 hour individual written examination covering all course material and topics.
You need to have successfully completed the obligatory course components before being allowed to sit the exam. If you do not fulfill these requirements, you must submit a written request to apply for an additional assignment prior to sitting the exam. The application must document stated reasons for absence beyond your control.
Submit assignments in Inspera
You submit your assignment in the digital examination system Inspera. Read about how to submit your assignment.
Use of sources and citation
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
In accordance with the UiO quality assurance system, the course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.