The UiO has excellent facilities for anyone cycling to work, including those who have their own bicycles and park them in one of our 3,000 bicycle racks, or those who opt for a city bike.
You will find bike racks everywhere at the UiO. At Blindern there are bike racks outside each entrance – able to accommodate a total of almost 2,000 bikes. Please do not park you bicycle so that it blocks the footpaths or entrances, or gets in the way of general traffic.
Please be considerate to pedestrians when cycling on the footpaths. There are a lot of pedestrians and it might be advisable to push your bike.
Locked bicycle parking under cover:
- Blindern, bak Eilert Sundts hus A, inngang fra Niels Henrik Abels hus. Bike racks with key cards. Access for students and employees.
- Gaustad, Ole Johan Dahls hus. Dedicated entrance to the garage for pedestrians and cyclists. Students have access to the bike room during normal opening hours.
- Geitmyrsveien, Det odontologiske fakultet. Dedicated entrance to the garage for pedestrians and cyclists. Students have access to the bike room during normal opening hours.
Please note: Bicycle parking at your own risk.
Bicycles parked in the wrong place
For cleaning and general access purposes and to prevent emergency exits from being blocked, bikes are not permitted inside the buildings. These bikes will be removed. Any bikes which have been abandoned or are broken will also be removed.
These bikes, and the locks that have been provided with them, will be placed in the nearest bike rack or handed over to Landscape Services. Please contact the Property Department if you have any questions.
Motorbikes and mopeds
The UiO encourages the parking of mopeds and motorbikes in the designated parking spots. There are 12 such designated spots available between the Physics Building and Helga Engs House. Parking is not permitted on the grass.
Free bike fixing for students
At Bike Kitchen Blindern in Niels Henrik Abels hus you can fix your bicycle.
Oslo Bysykkel is available at many spots at the University of Oslo.
Environment and Climate Strategy
In line with the Environment and Climate Strategy (Norwegian) which applies to the UiO’s property activities, the Property Department is in the process of developing a locked bicycle parking service for employees and students. This strategy has two clear objectives for 2020:
- Working to ensure that more people either walk or cycle to UiO - or travel by public transport.
- Facilitating the use of emission-free vehicles for employees and students.