Organisation and roles in the HSE work
Managing the working environment (or Health, Safety and the Environment - HSE) is an integral part of the University's primary responsibility. Responsibility for systematic health, safety and the environment applies at all levels. HSE issues should be resolved at the lowest possible organisational level, in an attempt to ensure local participation by staff.
- Managers are responsible for HSE.
Managers are supported by local HSE coordinators, the unit's personnel manager, the HSE Unit, the Department of Personnel Support, and the Estate Department.
- Employees shall participate in HSE management.
- Students shall participate in HSE management when performing work which is part of their practical training.
- Safety representatives shall ensure that HSE management is performed properly.
- The Occupational Health Service Unit shall provide advice on HSE management to managers, staff and safety representatives. See BHT's catalogue of services (Norwegian) for a list of the services available.
- The Working Environment Committee is a representative committee set up to ensure implementation of a functional, protective working environment.