Completing your studies - checklist
In the checklist for MSc students in Geosciences below, you'll find necessary information for students finishing their MSc studies in Geosciences.
Checklist - complete your studies:
- Cover page for your master's thesis
- Submitting your master's thesis in Studentweb to DUO
- Drop by the student administration to get the printing information
- Final examination
- Clearance form- almost done
The regular deadline for submitting the master thesis is:
- 1 June at 11.59 PM / 23.59 (admission in the autumn semester).
The final deadline will be given to you when receiving the answer to your application for approval of master’s studies contract (study plan) in the 2nd semester.
When writing large documents, it can be helpful to use styles. Styles help with the layout of the document and form the basis for the automatic generation of a table of content.
Please use the MN-faculty layout template, containing suitable styles for a master thesis.
The templates are available in English and Norwegian and are built in Word. LaTex is also available:
There are no rules regarding the use of font types or size, but please note that the Department of Geosciences only pays for a maximum of 20 (- or 40, se point 4) colour pages. If you have more colour pages than this, you'll have to pay for the extra pages when picking up your thesis from the University Print Centre. They accept VISA and Mastercard.
Your master’s thesis must be submitted to Studentweb by the given deadline (on date of deadline by 23:59/11:59 PM). See instructions below:
A receipt will be sent to your UiO-email address when the thesis has been submitted. Please note that some additional information must be filled out in Studentweb when submitting (meta data, etc.) so make sure to allow time for this and do not start the submission process a couple of minutes before the deadline.
Remember to pay the semester fee and be semester registered for the semester during which you are submitting your thesis.
After submitting your thesis in Studentweb to DUO, you must drop by the student administration. There you will get the "Location code/Stedkode" and the "Project code/Tiltakskode" from the student administration, which you will need when ordering the print job.
Your thesis shall be uploaded as a PDF (for printing) to the University Print Centre (Reprosentralen).
The Department of Geosciences covers the following print expenses:
10 copies of the thesis and maximum 20 pages in colour print per copy*
5 copies of the thesis and maximum 40 pages in colour print per copy*
Remember to specify which of the up to 40 pages in your PDF that should be printed in colour.
The University Print Centre will notify you when your thesis is ready, usually in about 3-4 days. It can be picked up in their offices in the basement of Kristian Ottosens' hus (map), entrance B. Akademika book store is in the floor above.
Your thesis should be distributed to supervisors and examiners as described:
One copy each to your supervisors, internal examiner and external examiner. Ask your supervisor how and where to send them. Usually, the external supervisor would like a pdf-version of your thesis so that they may read it before the printing is complete.
The rest are yours to keep.
* If you have more colour pages in each copy, you have to cover the cost for these yourself. If you do not pay on delivery, we will forward you the invoice received from the University Print Centre.
Before you can take your final examination, the theoretical curriculum (in accordance to the approved master’s study plan) in your master’s programme must be completed, including the mandatory HSE-courses.
The final examination will normally take place in mid/late June. The date for the examination should be set no later than 6 weeks after thesis submission. The final MSc examination consists of:
- An oral presentation of the master thesis given by the student (you), open to the public. The presentation should last 30 minutes.
- An oral examination where the candidate (you) defend your thesis and presentation. An external- and internal assessor will be present, together with your supervisor(s).
In order to get your final Master of Science diploma, you will have submit a clearance form for your master’s studies programme. Here you'll get a confirmation from different UiO resources, stating that you have no outstanding obligations towards the university.
Before submitting the clearance form, please read the following: what to do with your research data.
If you are residing abroad, please remember to hand in the clearance form before leaving.
Please note that the degree after your examination will not be obtained before we get the complete clearance form back.
After you have submitted the clearance form and have obtained your MSc degree, it will take 2-8 weeks before your diploma is ready for pick up.
In the clearance form, you decide if you would like to:
- have the diploma shipped to your semester registered address by registered post (NOR: rekommandert brevpost). The shipment will have to be picked up at your local post office within 14 days. Remember to bring approved ID. Or:
- get an email when your diploma is ready for you, and you can come to the student adminstration to pick it up. This might be nice if you are about to move, and not sure where you are living the upcoming weeks.
Please remember to update your new semester address in Studentweb if you are moving, and update your new mail box with your name.
Your obtained degree will further be accessible at the Diploma registry, where you you can collect your results from higher education in Norway and share them with potential employers, educational institutions and other relevant recipients.
The Diploma Registry is free of charge:
Do not hesitate to contact the Student administration (email@example.com) if you need assistanse or have any questions.