Why choose this programme?
Do you want to influence higher education policy? Have a career in an international organisation? Be taught by the leaders within the field? This international programme is for you.
State of the art and internationally well known
This international programme is the first ever European Master’s programme on higher education. It is unique in three specific ways:
- It is the only programme covering a broader range of disciplinary perspectives on higher education throughout the world.
- The programme is based on a multi-faceted mode of teaching which is supported by a state-of-the-art e-learning platform, such as podcasts, student blog, online resources.
- It builds upon the involvement of a variety of leading research centers and partner universities from Europe, Asia, Africa and North America bringing together a variety of leading experts in the field. These experts are directly involved in your teaching and supervision throughout the programme.
Understanding change processes in higher education
The programme introduces you to disciplinary concepts, theories, and perspectives, and discusses their relevance for understanding change processes in higher education at these various levels:
- department and faculty
- institutional or organisational
- supra-national (e.g. European Union)
These perspectives are highly relevant for researchers and practitioners such as institutional managers, policy-makers, and all those directly involved with the field of higher education.
Examples of recent change processes in higher education include:
- The increasing awareness by international bodies and agencies of higher education as a critical sector in fostering socio-economic and cultural development. Some examples of these are UNESCO, OECD, World Bank, and development aid organisations.
- The growing attention towards the quality of teaching and research nationally as well as internationally.
- The increase of international research networks and ongoing efforts aimed at modernising universities across Europe.
International student environment and fieldwork abroad
Over the years, the programme has attracted students from more than 40 countries from the four corners of the globe, from Asia to Southern and Northern Europe, to Africa and the Americas. The diverse student group allows for sharing of experiences and knowledge of the higher education systems from various countries. You get to learn from each other's experience and go beyond the textbooks.
You will have the unique opportunity to study in an international environment and spend a period abroad as part of your studies. More information for possible study abroad opportunities.