FIL4091 – Master's essay in philosophy
The Master's essay is the major work in the alternative progression in the Master's programme that requires an essay. The Master's essay is expected to be based on the knowledge acquired through prior courses in philosophy or on a topic you have chosen in the first semester of the programme. You may freely choose your own essay statement, given that competent supervision may be offered within the bounds of the programme’s available resources. The essay should be of about 25-50 pages (each page of about 2300 characters).
- to define a suitable essay statement
- to find, understand and critically relate to prior relevant research
- to analyze and argue in a clear and philosophical way
- to become familiar with the methodological and theoretical framework that is relevant to the thesis
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
The teaching takes the form of individual supervision. You have the right to 9 hours of supervision.
More on the rights and duties of students and supervisor regarding the thesis supervision.
A supervisor will be assigned based the description of what you wish to write about that you submit in FIL4081 – Philosophical method and practice, which you are advised to take during the first semester of the programme.
FIL4091 has the following compulsory tuition activities:
- Around the middle of the second semester, there will be a seminar where all students present the project descriptions for their MA-thesis. After the seminar, the description is to be submitted in writing as well. You work on your project description after you have been assigned a supervisor at the beginning of the second semester (from students with admission to the program from fall 2019 and later).
The exam consists of:
- Master's essay (25-50 pages à 2300 characters, not counting the bibliography)
- Oral exam (30-60 minutes)
The oral exam usually takes place before the end of the semester. You will receive the summons to your oral exam through your e-mail account at UiO.
The deadlines for submitting your Master's essay are:
- 15. November in the autumn
- 15. May in the spring
It is however possible to submit Your essay until 15. December/15. June, but if you choose to do so your oral examination will most likely take place in January/August.
The deadlines for withdrawal of registration of examination are 1. December/1 June
NB: How to submit your Master's essay:
How to submit your Master's thesis at IFIKK
Please note that you are required to submit:
- An electronic copy of the Master's essay to the University of Oslo library through DUO. Read more about the how to submit your thesis in DUO.
- A complete form for issuing a diploma. You may find the form on the faculty webpage concerning diplomas.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grad and F is a fail.
Read more about the grading system.
The Master's essay is usually evaluated by an internal lecturer (not the supervisor) and an external examiner. In certain cases, two external examiners may be summoned.
Before the oral exam, the examination committee gives the essay a preliminary grade. The candidate may ask for this preliminary grade on the day of the oral exam, before the exam begins. The oral exam may adjust the preliminary grade. A final grade is offered after an overall assessment and is announced to the candidate at the end of the exam.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.