GEO4922 – Cloud Physics
Changes in the course due to coronavirus Spring 2020
Teaching and examinations will take place digitally. This may result in changes to your schedule, mandatory activities, exam form and grading scale. See updated information on the semester page and in Canvas.
Cloud condensation nuclei, formation of cloud droplets. Growth of cloud droplets by condensation and coalescence. Formation and growth of ice crystals. Mixing of air masses and convection. Precipitation processes, weather radar, thunderstorms, hail. Numerical cloud models.
After taken this course the students will
- be able to carry out meteorological work within the areas of clouds, evaporation and precipitation.
Admission to the course
Students at UiO register for courses and exams in Studentweb.
Recommended previous knowledge
- Basic knowledge of atmospheric thermodynamics and cloud physics.
- GEF2200 – Atmospheric physics (continued) / GEO2310 – Meteorology
- 10 credits overlap with GEF4310 – Cloud physics (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with GEO9922 – Cloud Physics.
- 10 credits overlap with GEF9310 – Cloud Physics (continued).
Approximately two hours of lectures- and two hours of exercises/colloquia per week. The course has mandatory assignments, which has to be approved before the final examination.
Attendance at the first lecture is compulsory. Students who fail to meet, are considered to have withdrawn from the course unless they have previously given notice to the Student administration (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We reserve the right to change the teaching form and examination of the course in semesters where 5 or fewer students have been admitted.
- Mandatory assigments must be approved before sitting the final examination for the course.
- Written midterm examination (3 hours) counts for 1/3.
- Final oral examination counts for 2/3.
- All parts must be passed individually in order to pass the course.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt. It will also be counted as one of the three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses:
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
In this course may any written exam questions or assignment questions be available in English only.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.