GEO4924 – Turbulence in the Atmosphere and Ocean
Changes in the course due to coronavirus Spring 2020
Teaching and examinations will take place digitally. This may result in changes to your schedule, mandatory activities, exam form and grading scale. See updated information on the semester page and in Canvas.
This course examines nonlinear aspects of the large scale atmospheric and oceanic circulation. It expands on the linear theories introduced in GEO4900 – Atmosphere-Ocean Dynamics and also covers basic concepts in statistics, chaos theory and turbulence.
- The student will learn basic statistics, Fourier transforms and chaos theory.
- The student will obtain a fundamental knowledge of:
- the theories of three and two dimensional homogeneous turbulence
- the application to diverse systems like the Jovian atmosphere and flows in ocean basins
- consequences for atmospheric predictability and for the transport of pollutants.
Admission to the course
Students at UiO register for courses and exams in Studentweb.
Recommended previous knowledge
- 5 credits overlap with GEO9924 – Turbulence in the Atmosphere and Ocean.
- 5 credits overlap with GEF4520 – Turbulence in the Atmosphere and Ocean (continued).
- 5 credits overlap with GEF9520 – Turbulence in the Atmosphere and Ocean (continued).
Teaching consist of 2 weeks of daily lectures.
Attendance at the first lecture is compulsory. Students who fail to meet, are considered to have withdrawn from the course unless they have previously given notice to the Student administration (email@example.com).
We reserve the right to change the teaching form and examination of the course in semesters where 5 or fewer students have been admitted.
- A final presentation of an article or series of articles, relevant in the course and chosen by the student.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt. It will also be counted as one of the three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses:
- GEO9924 – Turbulence in the Atmosphere and Ocean
- GEF4520 – Turbulence in the Atmosphere and Ocean (continued)
- GEF9520 – Turbulence in the Atmosphere and Ocean (continued)
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
In this course any written exam questions or assignment questions may be available in English only.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.