GEO4924 – Turbulence in the Atmosphere and Ocean
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
This course examines nonlinear aspects of the large scale atmospheric and oceanic circulation. It expands on the linear theories introduced in GEO4900 – Atmosphere Ocean Dynamics and also covers basic concepts in statistics, chaos theory and turbulence.
- The student will learn basic statistics, Fourier transforms and chaos theory.
- The student will obtain a fundamental knowledge of:
- the theories of three and two dimensional homogeneous turbulence,
- the application to diverse systems like the Jovian atmosphere and flows in ocean basins,
- consequences for atmospheric predictability and for the transport of pollutants.
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Recommended previous knowledge
- 5 credits overlap with GEF4520 – Turbulence in the Atmosphere and Ocean (continued)
- 5 credits overlap with GEF9520 – Turbulence in the Atmosphere and Ocean (continued)
- 5 credits overlap with GEO9924 – Turbulence in the Atmosphere and Ocean
Teaching consist of 2 weeks of daily lectures.
Attendance at the first lecture is compulsory. Students who fail to meet, are considered to have withdrawn from the course unless they have previously given notice to the Study administration, email address: email@example.com
We reserve the right to cancel teaching in this course in semesters when less than 3 students are admitted.
- A final presentation of an article or series of articles, relevant in the course and chosen by the student.
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
In this course any written exam questions or assignment questions may be available in English only.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
It will also be counted as one of the three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: GEF4520 – Turbulence in the Atmosphere and Ocean (continued), GEF9520 – Turbulence in the Atmosphere and Ocean (continued), and GEO9924 – Turbulence in the Atmosphere and Ocean.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.
This course changed code from the autumn of 2018 from GEF4520 - Turbulence in the atmosphere and ocean to GEO4924 - Turbulence in the Atmosphere and Ocean