IN1020 – Introduction to Computer Technology
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
All informatics education is based on an understanding of what a computer is and how it works. This course gives that understanding. It explains the elements of a modern computer and their function, and how combining them produces a powerful tool.
After having completed this course you have:
- basic knowledge of the most important components of a computer, their function and understanding of how they cooperate
- can you write simple code in machine language and understand how it is processed by a processor
- wide knowledge of computer network communication
- knowledge of how modern distributed services like social networks and virtual computers in the cloud work
- knowledge of typical security threats and which security solutions are used to reduce these threats
Admission to the course
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
- 5 credits overlap with INF2270 – Computer Architecture (discontinued).
- 3 credits overlap with INF1400 – Digital technology (discontinued).
This course has 4 hours lecture and 2 hours group work with tutor.
The course has mandatory assignments which must be approved prior to the exam. All mandatory assignments must be approved, and the mandatory assignments must have been approved in the same semester. Rules for mandatory assignments.
Note that the first lecture is compulsory.
4 hours written digital exam.
All mandatory assignments must be approved prior to the exam, and the mandatory assignments must have been completed in the same semester.
Examination support material
All written and printed exam resources are allowed, as well as a calculator (only with battery, and without communication options)
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more: