IN1020 – Introduction to Computer Technology
All informatics education is based on an understanding of what a computer is and how it works. This course gives that understanding. It explains the elements of a modern computer and their function, and how combining them produces a powerful tool.
After having completed this course you have:
- basic knowledge of the most important components of a computer, their function and understanding of how they cooperate
- can you write simple code in machine language and understand how it is processed by a processor
- wide knowledge of computer network communication
- knowledge of how modern distributed services like social networks and virtual computers in the cloud work
- knowledge of typical security threats and which security solutions are used to reduce these threats
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
- 5 credits overlap with INF2270 – Computer Architecture (discontinued)
- 3 credits overlap with INF1400 – Digital technology (discontinued)
This overlap applies to students who take IN1020 Autumn 2019 or later
This course has 2 hours lecture, 1 hour rehearsals and 2 hours group work with tutor. Mandatory assignments which must be completed during the course. Rules for mandatory assignments.
Note that the first lecture is compulsory.
4 hours written digital exam. Mandatory assignments must be approved prior to the exam.
Examination support material
All written and printed exam resources are allowed.
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more:
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.