IN5100 – Selected Topics in Rewriting Logic
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
The course deals with selected advanced topics in rewriting logic and formal methods, such as: metaprogramming, real-time systems and probabilistic systems. The course will emphasize examples of using rewriting logic for formal modeling and analysis of applications, such as: transport protocols, web browsers and data security, cloud-based databases and transaction management, biochemical processes, cognitive processes, flight systems and semantics and analysis of standard programming and modeling languages.
After taking the course you'll be able to:
- do formal modeling and analysis of systems in domains such as: browsers transport protocols, cloud-based transaction systems, biochemistry, psychology, computer systems for aircraft, and/or semantics and analysis of standard modeling and programming languages
- do meta-programming
- do modeling and analysis methods for real-time and probabilistic systems
- read and understand scientific articles
- present scientific articles
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Recommended previous knowledge
IN2100 – Logic for System Analysis (INF3230/3232/4231/4232)
- 10 credits overlap with INF5130 – Selected topics of rewriting logic (continued)
- 10 credits overlap with INF9130 – Selected topics of rewriting logic (continued)
- 10 credits overlap with IN9100 – Utvalgte emner i omskrivningslogikk
3 hours of teaching each week (lectures or group excercises). Submission of compulsory assignments is required.
Oral or written 4 hours exam that counts as 70% of the final grade and a oral presentation that counts as 30% of the final grade. Mandatory assignments must be approved prior to the exam.
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: INF5130 – Selected topics of rewriting logic (continued), INF9130 – Selected topics of rewriting logic (continued), IN9100 – Utvalgte emner i omskrivningslogikk.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.