IN5350 – CMOS Image Sensor Design
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
The course covers design aspects of CMOS image sensor circuits and systems. Photon detection in Silicon and design and analysis of CMOS pixel circuits and correlated double sampling readout will be covered in depth, as well as noise sources and modelling signal/noise ratio.
After completing this course, you'll have:
- basic knowledge of analog and digital circuits used in cameras
- knowledge of construction and analyzation of pixels and readout circuits in CMOS
- basic knowledge of simulation and modelling of imaging sensor circuits with advanced tools such as Cadence and ADS
- understanding of how noise and signal-to-noise ratio define image quality
Recommended previous knowledge
Prerequisites in analog/mixed-signal CMOS construction, analog microelectronics, digital imaging and linear circuit electronics are recommended.
- 10 credits overlap with IN9350 – CMOS Image Sensor Design
- 10 credits overlap with INF5442 – Image Sensor Circuits and Systems (continued)
- 10 credits overlap with INF9442 – Image Sensor Circuits and Systems (continued)
- 7 credits overlap with INF5441 – CMOS billedsensor (continued)
- 5 credits overlap with INF5440 – CMOS Image sensors (discontinued)
- 5 credits overlap with INF9440 – CMOS Image sensors (continued)
2 hours of lectures.
Submission and approval of mandatory assignments is required. Read more about requirements for submission of assignments, group work and legal cooperation under guidelines for mandatory assignments.
Oral or 4 hours written digital exam, dependent on the number of students.
All mandatory assignments must be approved before you can take the exam.
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: IN9350 – CMOS Image Sensor Design, INF5441 – CMOS billedsensor (continued), INF5442 – Image Sensor Circuits and Systems (continued) and INF9442 – Image Sensor Circuits and Systems (continued).
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.