IN5430 – IT and Management
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
As a general rule, exams at the MN Faculty will during the autumn of 2021 be conducted without physical attendance. For reasons relating to the course content, some courses will have on-campus written examination if the current infection rate makes this possible.
The semester page for your course will be updated with any changes in the form of examination. See also more information about examination at the MN Faculty in 2021.
In this course you learn about managerial challenges related to development, implementation and management of IT solutions in organizations. A specific focus is on the challenges posed by socio-technical, complex, large-scale and interconnected IT solutions. The lectures and readings in the course present approaches, models and frameworks found in IT management practices, and offer a research-based view on the topics. You will participate in a project where you apply this knowledge to an empirical study within a real-world organization.
After you have completed the course you can:
- describe common approaches, models and frameworks for IT management and governance, project management and enterprise architectures in organizations.
- describe theoretical perspectives on the opportunities and challenges associated with IT governance, project management and enterprise architectures.
- discuss the challenges of inter-organizational and sector-wide IT governance.
- describe the connection between governance models and enterprise architectures.
- can plan, organize, and report from a project where you collect and analyze data to document and assess the IT governance model of an organization.
- utilize your practical and theoretical basis for critical reflection on how IT is managed in organizations.
Admission to the course
Students admitted at UiO must apply for courses in Studentweb. Students enrolled in other Master's Degree Programmes can, on application, be admitted to the course if this is cleared by their own study programme.
Nordic citizens and applicants residing in the Nordic countries may apply to take this course as a single course student.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures for international applicants
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with INF5890 – IT and Management (continued).
- 5 credits overlap with IN4150 – Digital Ecosystems.
- 5 credits overlap with IN5431 – IT and Management.
2 hours lectures and 2 hours seminars per week.
First lecture is mandatory
The home exam is 40% of the final grade (this assignment itself consists for 3 different submissions and must be passed the same semester as the oral exam). The oral exam constitutes the remaining 60%. Both must be passed individually. The home exam must be passed to be allowed to take the oral exam.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: INF5890 - IT and Management (continued).
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester. Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.