IN5470 – Advanced Research Topics in Design of IT
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
Autumn 2020 and Spring 2021 the exams of most courses at the MN Faculty will be conducted as digital home exams or oral exams, using the normal grading scale. The semester page for your course will be updated with any changes in the form of examination.
Please note that there may be changes in the form of examination for some courses taught Spring 2021. We aim to bring both the course description and the semester page of all courses up to date with correct information by 1 February 2021.
This course provides a basic introduction to a theme where the researchers from the Design group are active, and may therefore vary every year. The course includes basic literature and important frameworks within the chosen theme so that the students get a good basis for writing their Master thesis within the theme. The aim is that the Master theses can contribute to the research in the Design group. The course emphasizes theoretical understanding and practical experiments within the chosen theme.
After you have completed this course you are able to:
- Explain important concepts within the field
- Describe central frameworks for design within the field
- Translate concepts and frameworks in the field into concrete design suggestions
- Apply the framework in analysis and evaluation of your own as well as other people’s design solutions
Admission to the course
There are a total of 12 spots in this course. Ranking rules:
- Master´s students in the study program Design, Use, Interaction with the topic in the approved study plan, and which writes a thesis on the theme of the year
- Master´s students in the study program Design, Use, Interaction
- Bachelor students in the study program Design, Use, Interaction with single subject study at Master, who in previous courses (e.g. INF1510/IN1060 or INF2260) have written a project assignment within the theme of the year
- Students at IFI who in previous courses (e.g. INF1510/IN1060 or INF2260) have written a project assignment within the theme of the year
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with INF5205 – Advanced Topics in Design of Information Systems (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with INF9205 – Advanced Topics in Design of Information Systems (discontinued).
Lectures, discussions and specific assignments. The teaching will be held over a 4-5 week period, preferably full days to suit other subjects.
Compulsory activities on the subject: There is a requirement for 80% attendance in lectures, and active participation in discussions is required. Completion of mandatory assignments is required.
A large written report counts 100%. To be able to pass the exam, all compulsory assignments in the subject must be approved and passed during the same semester.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: INF5205 – Advanced Topics in Design of Information Systems (continued), INF9205 – Advanced Topics in Design of Information Systems (discontinued)
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester. Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.