ECON4820 – Strategic Competition
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
This course is equivalent with ECON3820 – Strategic Competition
The course provides an overview of theories of oligopolistic markets and teaches the students how to analyse and apply the major (game theoretic) models of strategic interaction in imperfectly competitive markets.
You should know
- short-run competition, including price competition and quantity competition
- dynamic competition, including tacit collusion
- product differentiation
- entry deterrence and entry accommodation
- static competition under asymmetric information
- entry deterrence under asymmetric information
- incentives for research and development under imperfect competition
- mergers, including merger policy
- the relationship between producers and retailers under imperfect competition
- some basic game theory needed to address the above-mentioned topics
You should be able to
- obtain analytical skills related to the modeling of imperfect competition
- represent topical issues related to imperfect competition, including competition-policy cases, in terms of simple models of imperfect competition
- solve these simple models and deduce their implications
- be able to read and understand project reports and journal articles that make use of the concepts and methods that are introduced in the course
- be able to make use of the course content in your own academic work, for example in analyses that are part of the master’s thesis
Students admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
Students not admitted to the Master’s programme in Economics or the Master’s programme in Economic Theory and Econometrics (Samfunnsøkonomisk analyse), can apply for admission to one of our study programmes, or apply for guest student status.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with ECON3820 – Strategic Competition
- 10 credits overlap with ECON535 Imperfekt konkurranse og strategisk interaksjon
- 10 credits overlap with SØK535 Imperfekt konkurranse og strategisk interaksjon, 3. avd. samfunnsøkonomi
- 10 credits overlap with SOØ535 Imperfekt konkurranse og strategisk interaksjon, 3. avd. sosialøkonomi
Lectures and seminars.
The lectures and seminars will combine discussion of literature and exercises.
Normally, this course has a 3-hour written school exam.
For the spring 2021 applies:
The examination will be a home examination in Inspera. The home exam will be an open-book exam, where all written and printed resources as well as technical support is allowed. The time schedule will be published on the semester page.
Submit assignments in Inspera
You submit your assignment in the digital examination system Inspera. Read about how to submit your assignment.
Use of sources and citation
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English.You may submit your response in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
If you are sick or have another valid reason for not attending the regular exam, we offer a postponed exam later in the same semester.
See also our information about resitting an exam.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.