PSY4340 – Internship
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
For the internship, you will join a research group to gain experience with conducting scientific work, giving you the opportunity to put your theoretical knowledge into practice as you work on completing your own small project or participate in conducting a larger study.
During the internship, you can work with research groups at the Department of Psychology, or you can find an external internship placement given that appropriate supervision can be guaranteed. The internship should give you the opportunity to participate in all project stages, ranging from early study design, over implementation and data acquisition, to data analysis.
After completing an internship, you have:
- Turned knowledge and skill acquired in the classroom into practice.
- Insight into ongoing research, providing in-depth knowledge of your chosen field.
- Gained practical experience with scientific work, for example:
- contributed to planning a research project,
- applied for ethical approval,
- piloted a study,
- contributed to data collection,
- processed and analysed data.
- Knowledge about the necessary skills for, and workload associated with, carrying out a research project.
- Gained experience with summarising and presenting your work in a scientific context
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
Students must have completed PSY4307 - Fundamentals of Cognitive and Clinical Neuroscience
The students will be integrated in research groups where they will conduct work under the guidance of an experienced researcher. The internship should correspond to at least six working weeks (approx. 200 hours) and attendance is compulsory during either the fall or spring semester.
The exact content of the internship will necessarily depend on the specific project.
Access to teaching
A student who has completed compulsory instruction and coursework and has had these approved, is not entitled to repeat that instruction and coursework. A student who has been admitted to a course, but who has not completed compulsory instruction and coursework or had these approved, is entitled to repeat that instruction and coursework, depending on available capacity.
- Mandatory Activity: Hand in a supervision contract before 15 February. Hand in your supervision contract in this nettskjema.
- The internship has compulsory attendance during either the fall or spring semester.
- Poster presentation (pass/fail): students must create a scientific poster illustrating and summarising their internship activities. All posters will be presented and evaluated on an internal "conference day" at the end of the spring semester.
Use of sources and citation
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.
Students are also asked to briefly present their exam-project to the new masterstudents in the following fall semester.