SNE3120 – Towards Inclusive Education
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
The course runs together with SNE4120 – Towards Inclusive Education.
The course offers different perspectives on how to implement inclusive education in pre-school, school and other relevant settings.
Areas of study include:
- Resource-based communication and mediation
- Strategies for early intervention
- Inclusion in pre-school and school
- Development of individual education plans
- Structuring flexible curricula
The course contributes to:
- Knowledge about development of inclusive practices.
- Knowledge in the field of curriculum (didactic)on macro and micro level.
- Basic knowledge in the field of curriculum (didactic)of individual and class/group support of learning and development.
- Knowledge and understanding of how to plan, implement, assess and revise individual learning processes in group- and class relations.
- Knowledge about core concepts of resource-based special needs education towards inclusion.
- Skills in educational differentiation and in planning, implementing, assessing and revising individual learning processes in group- and class relations.
- Skills in inclusive practices.
- Skills in recourse-based interaction, communication and mediation with individuals and groups/classes on preschool and school levels.
- Competence in planning, implementing, assessing and revising individual, group- and class curricula.
- Competence in inclusive practicing.
This course is only open for international exchange students at Bachelor's level.
Number of places: approximately 15
Formal prerequisite knowledge
Some basic knowledge in special needs education or other relevant discipline, equivalent to a minimum of 10 credits.
10 credits overlap with SNE4120 – Towards Inclusive Education
Students accepted onto this course can not apply for course SNE4120 at Master’s level.
- Literature studies
- Student group and plenary discussions
Group work based on selected articles or part of the syllabus.
The group work revolves around the discussion and collective analysis of selected articles or part of the syllabus. You will have to make a presentation during the course. If you presentation is not approved, an alternative obligatory assignment will have to be completed prior to the course examination.
There is a mandatory 80 % attendance requirement. You are allowed to be absent for a maximum 20 % of the lectures and seminars.
Canvas is the learning management system for education at UiO. On Canvas you may find detailed information about the teaching and exams for the courses you are enrolled in. On Canvas you may participate in learning activities, submit assignments and interact with groups.
In addition, we use Canvas to share relevant information for students of the course. Keep up to date on the announcements!
Visit the Department of Special Needs Education’s website to find information about upcoming events such as seminars, conferences and disputations. For updates on social activities, follow the student council, Fagutvalget, on Facebook.
- Individual assignment
Submit assignments in Inspera
You submit your assignment in the digital examination system Inspera. Read about how to submit your assignment.
Use of sources and citation
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Students who do not pass an exam may have a second attempt as soon as it is possible to arrange. This is called a re-sit examination. The re-sit examination is held within 3 months of the original examination.
Students who have passed their exam, but who wish to improve their grade may not participate in a re-sit examination. You may take an exam to improve your grades at the next time the course has an ordinary exam, as long as you have not already used all three attempts. The Department will provide information and guidelines about the re-sit examination.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.