Schedule, syllabus and examination date

Choose semester

Course content

The course provides an introduction to cosmological models, important eras in the history of the universe, and structure formation. It provides the foundation for further studies in cosmology.

Learning outcome

After completing the course you will have acquired knowledge, which includes:

  • Being able to define the principles and equations that are the foundation of models of the universe in the general theory of relativity.
  • Being able to explain important cosmological observations and how they are used to determine the characteristics of the universe.
  • Being able to describe, qualitatively and quantitatively, important eras in the history of the universe: inflationary phase, radiation dominated phase with disengagement of dark matter and neutrinos, nucleosynthesis, matter dominated universe, recombination and the formation of cosmic microwave background radiation.
  • Being able to define the basic equations that describe structure formation, and solve them for simple examples.
  • Knowing important observables in large scale structure, how they are defined and observed, and what they can tell us about the features of the universe.

Admission

Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.

If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.

Prerequisites

Formal prerequisite knowledge

In addition to fulfilling the Higher Education Entrance Qualification, applicants have to meet the following special admission requirements:

One of these:

  • Mathematics R1
  • Mathematics (S1+S2)

And and in addition one of these:

  • Mathematics (R1+R2)
  • Physics (1+2)
  • Chemistry (1+2)
  • Biology (1+2)
  • Information technology (1+2)
  • Geosciences (1+2)
  • Technology and theories of research (1+2)

The special admission requirements may also be covered by equivalent studies from Norwegian upper secondary school or by other equivalent studies. Read more about special admission requirements (in Norwegian).

Recommended previous knowledge

Five semesters of the Fysikk og astronomi (bachelor's) programme or comparable.

Overlapping courses

10 credits overlap with AST4220 - Cosmology I (discontinued)

Teaching

4 hours of lectures a week and 2 hours of tutorials a week.

Examination

Two projects in which each counts roughly 20% of the final grade and in total around 40% of the final grade. A final written exam of four hours counts around 60% of the final grade. The final grade is determined by an overall assessment of the project assignments and the final written exam.

Examination support material

  • Two A4 sized pages with notes are allowed. You can use both sides of an A4 sized sheet, or two A4 sized sheets with writing on one side.
  • An approved calculator.

Language of examination

You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.

If the course is taught in English, written exams will be given in English.

Grading scale

Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.

Explanations and appeals

Resit an examination

Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.

Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.

Special examination arrangements

Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.

Facts about this course

Credits

10

Level

Bachelor

Teaching

Every spring

Examination

Every spring

Teaching language

Norwegian (English on request)