Newsletter UiO:Life Science March 2019
Interdisciplinary research to solve societal challenges:
Eight new convergence environments from dating across disciplines
Diabetes, organ donation, consciousness, the immune system, evidence in rape cases, mental illnesses, medicinal plants and cancer. These are societal challenges that will be examined in interdisciplinary life science research groups at the University of Oslo.
UiO:Life Science already funds six convergence environments that study man-made pollutants, the peculiar immune system of codfish, embryonic development, personalised cancer therapies and new technologies to handle both disease and pollutants.
The UN sustainability development goals (SDGs) and UiO
Every day students and employees at the University of Oslo work on projects that to reaching the SDGs. All the three large interdisciplinary strategic initiatives UiO:Life Science, UiO: Energy and UiO:Nordic have sustainability as an overarching topic.
In the new UiO video about the SDGs, you meet the UiO:Life Science convergence environment AnthroTox where toxicologists and social anthropologists collaborate to handle electronic waste. Do you know where your old phone ends up when you throw it away?
Application deadline for higher education 15 April:
Study at UiO for a career in life sciences
Simone Mester is 25 years old and a PhD student in biosciences which is of the study programmes for those who wants a future in life sciences.
"You don't have to become a medical doctor to save lives. By studying the immune system we get insight to develop new drugs and treatments, and thus help patients."
Simone is also the youngest project leader in UiO:Life Science's innovation programme SPARK Norway.
- Read career interview and watch videos with Simone (in Norwegian)
- You may also read the career interview with Georg Beiske (in Norwegian). He studied pharmacy at UiO and is now project leader in the global pharmaceutical company Bayer. UiO:Life Science and Bayer will collaborate on student innovation and career development in the time to come.
- Open call UiO:Life Science – no deadline
- Support from UiO for events Oslo European green capital 2019 – no deadline
- Support from UiO:Life Science for events and internationalization: new calls will be out on our funding web page 1 April – deadline 1 June
SPARK Norway Educational Forum 24 April
The topic is target product profile which is essential to succeed with a drug in the market. Examples from two different products – vaccines and traditional pharmaceuticals.
Events with support from UiO:Life Science
10 April: Life Science Writing Club
24 April: Life Science Writing Club