FRM5240 – Introduction to Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Radiopharmaceuticals and Medical Imaging
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
The course will provide a broad overview medical imaging with emphasis on positron emission tomography and diagnostic pharmaceuticals used in the field of imaging.
After completing the course you will have knowledge about :
- Principals of the commonly used medical imaging modalites with emphasis on PET and computettomography (CT), MRI, SPECT and ultrasound.
- Clinical use of the modalites
- Contrast agents (radoopharmaceuticals and non-radioactive radoopharmaceuticals) used within the modalities
- Quality control og radoopharmaceuticals and regulation
- Principals for development of radiopharmaceuticals
- Production of PET radioisotopes and PET radiopharmaceuticaks
- Therapheutical use of radiopharmaceuticals (Teranostics)
The course is primarily open to students who have their programme description of the advanced part (master-level) of the 5-years Master of Pharmacy program at UiO approved. If there is space available then others may also apply to take the course as long as their academic background is adequate.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
The course is available to students who have passed all courses in the 5-years Master of Pharmacy programme up to and including FRM3040 or students who can document equivalent knowledge in basic chemistry.
- 25 hours of lectures and demonstrations
- 5 hours of group exercises
Participation in demonstrations and group exercises are mandatory.
Admittance to examination requires approved participation in demonstrations and group exercises.
Examination support material
As of 1 August, 2016, the use of own calculators is no longer permitted. Casio FX-991EX calculators are handed out to all exam candidates at the beginning of the exam.
Language of examination
Norwegian (English on demand).
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more:
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.