FRM5240 – Introduction to Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Radiopharmaceuticals and Medical Imaging
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
Autumn 2020 we plan for teaching and examinations to be conducted as described in the course description and on semester pages. However, changes may occur due to the corona situation. You will receive notifications about any changes at the semester page and/or in Canvas.
Spring 2020: Teaching and examinations was digitilized. See changes and common guidelines for exams at the MN faculty spring 2020.
The course will provide a broad overview medical imaging with emphasis on positron emission tomography and diagnostic pharmaceuticals used in the field of imaging.
After completing the course you will have knowledge about :
- Principals of the commonly used medical imaging modalites with emphasis on PET and computettomography (CT), MRI, SPECT and ultrasound.
- Clinical use of the modalites
- Contrast agents (radoopharmaceuticals and non-radioactive radoopharmaceuticals) used within the modalities
- Quality control og radoopharmaceuticals and regulation
- Principals for development of radiopharmaceuticals
- Production of PET radioisotopes and PET radiopharmaceuticaks
- Therapheutical use of radiopharmaceuticals (Teranostics)
Admission to the course
The course is primarily open to students who have their programme description of the advanced part (master-level) of the 5-years Master of Pharmacy program at UiO approved. If there is space available then others may also apply to take the course as long as their academic background is adequate.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
The course is available to students who have passed all courses in the 5-years Master of Pharmacy programme up to and including FRM3040 – Development of new pharmaceuticals or students who can document equivalent knowledge in basic chemistry.
- 5 credits overlap with FRM9240 – Introduction to Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Radiopharmaceuticals and Medical Imaging.
- 25 hours of lectures and demonstrations
- 5 hours of group exercises
Participation in demonstrations and group exercises are mandatory.
The course may be cancelled if the number of enrolled students are low.
Admittance to examination requires approved participation in demonstrations and group exercises.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
It will also be counted as one of the three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses:
- FRM9240 – Introduction to Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Radiopharmaceuticals and Medical Imaging
Examination support material
As of 1 August, 2016, the use of own calculators is no longer permitted. Casio FX-991EX calculators are handed out to all exam candidates at the beginning of the exam.
Language of examination
Norwegian (English on demand).
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more: