BIOS5913 – Molecular mechanisms of intracellular transport
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
The course deals with membrane structure, transport of proteins into the endoplasmic reticulum (ER), through the Golgi apparatus and out of the cell; chemical modification of proteins, different forms of endocytosis and intracellular transport; factors that regulate intracellular transport and fusion with different organelles; newly discovered pathways in the cell.
After completing the course you are expected to have knowlegde about and an overview of the research front in subjects such as:
- Endocytic mechanisms and intracellular sorting
- Transport of newly synthesized proteins into the ER and control of newly synthesized proteins
- An overview of models for how transport through the Golgi apparatus occurs
- Pathways for transport out of the cell
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with BIOS9913 – Molecular mechanisms of intracellular transport
- 10 credits overlap with MBV4240 – Biochemical mechanisms in intracellular transport (continued)
- 10 credits overlap with MBV9240 – Biochemical mechanisms in intracellular transport (continued)
The course consists of
- lectures ( 20 hours)
- student seminars (10 hours)
As part of the teaching, all PhD candidates will hold an individual presentation of a scientific article for the other participants on the course.
The lectures must be considered as syllabus and there is mandatory participation in both lectures and student seminars. 80 % participation is required.
The teaching is concentrated over 2 weeks.
The mandatory participation in both lectures and student seminars must be approved before the exam.
- Three hours final written exam appr. two weeks after the end of the course. The exam counts 100%
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English.You may submit your response in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more:
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
It will also be counted as one of the three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses MBV4240 – Biochemical mechanisms in intracellular transport (continued), MBV9240 – Biochemical mechanisms in intracellular transport (continued), BIOS9913 – Molecular mechanisms of intracellular transport.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.