IN3070 – Logic
Teaching and exams spring 2022
At the MN Faculty teaching is in-person this spring, but there may still be cases of online or hybrid teaching.
Please see the semester page, Canvas or your regular channel of information for changes in teaching and form of examination.
This is a secondary topic in logic. The course focuses on the relationship between truth and evidence, and goes through many basic concepts. Several applications of logic in computer science are being reviewed.
After finishing IN3070, you´ll be able to:
- account for basic concepts such as fulfillment, validity, proof, consistency, health and completeness.
- explain the distinction between and the relationships between structure (syntax) and content (semantics) for logical languages, especially statement logic and first order logic.
- provide evidence in and argue for correctness for formal evidence systems (calculations) for statement logic and first order logic.
- explain selected traditional and modern information applications of logical languages.
Admission to the course
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
Special admission requirements
In addition to fulfilling the Higher Education Entrance Qualification, applicants have to meet the following special admission requirements:
- Mathematics R1 or Mathematics (S1+S2)
The special admission requirements may also be covered by equivalent studies from Norwegian upper secondary school or by other equivalent studies. Read more about special admission requirements (in Norwegian).
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with INF3170 – Logic (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with INF4171 – Logic (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with INF4170 – Logic (discontinued).
- 10 credits overlap with IN318.
- 10 credits overlap with SLI310.
- 10 credits overlap with IN4070 – Logic.
4 hours of lectures and 2 hours of group lectures each week. Completion of mandatory assignments is required. Read more about requirements for submission of assignments, group work and legal cooperation under guidelines for mandatory assignments.
4 hours written digital exam. All mandatory assignments must be passed before you´re allowed to take the exam.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: INF3170 – Logic (continued), IN4070 – Logic, INF4170 – Logic (discontinued), INF4171 – Logic (continued), IN318, SLI310
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.