IN5030 – Protocols and Routing in the Internet
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
Autumn 2020 and Spring 2021 the exams of most courses at the MN Faculty will be conducted as digital home exams or oral exams, using the normal grading scale. The semester page for your course will be updated with any changes in the form of examination.
Please note that there may be changes in the form of examination for some courses taught Spring 2021. We aim to bring both the course description and the semester page of all courses up to date with correct information by 1 February 2021.
In this course you will meet distinguished speakers from industry and universities to give lectures on the topics listed below. Knowledge about the Wi-Fi technology, IP-router architecture, Big Data and Cloud solutions, Software Defined Networking (SDN), Multicast communication, Quality of Service, Basic optical communication, Internet of Things, Protocols for multimedia applications, Cyber security, and use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) to deal with traffic control.
After the course you will:
- have knowledge about state-of-the-art and new communication solutions, including optical and wireless networks
- have knowledge about high-end IP routers
- have knowledge about Big Data analytics and its applications
- have knowledge about software defined networking (SDN) and traffic control, including use of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML)
- have knowledge about Internet of Things (IoT) and its vision to connect anything
- have knowledge about cyber threats and advanced malware trying to control Internet
- understanding the connection between principles and their applications in industry
Admission to the course
Students admitted at UiO must apply for courses in Studentweb. Students enrolled in other Master's Degree Programmes can, on application, be admitted to the course if this is cleared by their own study programme.
Nordic citizens and applicants residing in the Nordic countries may apply to take this course as a single course student.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures for international applicants.
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with INF9050 – Protocols and Routing in the Internet (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with INF5050 – Protocols and routing in the internet (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with IN9030 – Protocols and Routing in the Internet.
- 9 credits overlap with INF-PRI-F.
- 6 credits overlap with INF-PRI.
3 hours seminar each week. The students will themself present topics/articles during the first 2 hours. The last hour will be use to present next weeks topic. Which student that´ll present which topic will be determined as soon as possible after the start of the semester.
Attending the first lecture is mandatory.
Oral presentation contributes 20% towards the final grade, while an oral exam contributes 80%. All parts of the exam must be passed and this must be done during the same semester.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: IN9030 – Protocols and Routing in the Internet, INF5050 - Protocols and routing in the internet (continued), INF9050 - Protocols and Routing in the Internet (discontinued), INF-PRI-F
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
The examination text is given in Norwegian. If the course is taught in English, the examination text will only be given in English. You may answer in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester. Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.