IN5060 – Performance in Distributed Systems
Exams after the reopening
As a general rule, exams will be conducted without physical attendance in the autumn of 2021, even after the reopening. See the semester page for information about the form of examination in your course. See also more information about examination at the MN Faculty in 2021.
Understanding the limits of system performance and the bottlenecks of distributed systems is challenging and vital to the deployment of any modern high-performance system. The course treats techniques you can apply to properly analyse system performance and further locate the bottlenecks in the end-to-end system.
After taking this course you´ll have knowledge of:
- demands and solutions with respect to performance in distributed systems and have gained experience with designing and performing experiments
- experimenting with algorithms and architectures and experience with evaluating and improving performance
- how to present and visualise analysis data to highlight the most relevant results. Students and teachers will present and discuss the results in plenary sessions.
Admission to the course
Students admitted at UiO must apply for courses in Studentweb. Students enrolled in other Master's Degree Programmes can, on application, be admitted to the course if this is cleared by their own study programme.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures for international applicants.
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with IN9060 – Performance in Distributed Systems.
- 10 credits overlap with INF5072 – Performance in Distributed Systems (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with INF9072 – Performance in Distributed Systems (continued).
- 9 credits overlap with INF5071 – Performance in distributed systems (discontinued).
- 8 credits overlap with INF5070 – Media servers and distribution systems (discontinued).
- 7 credits overlap with INF-SERV.
- Lectures: 24 hours (in sets of 4 hours)
- Group lectures: 12 hours (in sets of 3 blocks
- Three oral, interactive poster presentations: 9 hours (in sets of 3 hours)
- Presentation is mandatory
- Attendance of all presentations is mandatory
- Only valid in the same semester
- Three home exams
- Report about platform-specific choices and performance achievements (graded)
- Working source code (graded)
- Poster illustrating performance results (mandatory but not graded)
Graded mark will be handed out based on 3 graded assignments (home exam) with oral presentation that account for approximately 33% each. Failing a graded assignment does still allow participation in the remaining exams. All exams must be taken during the same semester.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: INF5072 – Performance in Distributed Systems (continued), INF5071 – Performance in distributed systems (discontinued), INF5070 – Media servers and distribution systems (discontinued), INF9072 – Performance in Distributed Systems (continued), IN9060 – Performance in Distributed Systems, INF-SERV
Examination support material
All, but no text or code must be copied verbatim from other sources.
Language of examination
Subjects taught in English will only offer the exam paper in English.
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.