IN2140 – Introduction to operating systems and data communication
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
Autumn 2020 we plan for teaching and examinations to be conducted as described in the course description and on semester pages. However, changes may occur due to the corona situation. You will receive notifications about any changes at the semester page and/or in Canvas.
The course provides an introduction to operating systems, viewed from both the user and the programmer's point of view, and from the machine side. It will also provide insight into how today's data communication is taking place and how to create programs that use such communication. The programming language C is used, and a basic introduction will be given.
After taking this course you´ll:
- have basic knowledge of the most important components of an operating system and how it works
- be able to develop small applications that call on services in your operating system
- be able to choose between algorithms that enable today´s data communication and their use
- be able to develop programs with processes that can communicate internally in the computer and over a network
- know how to use the programming language C
Admission to the course
Students at UiO register for courses and exams in Studentweb.
Special admission requirements
In addition to fulfilling the Higher Education Entrance Qualification, applicants have to meet the following special admission requirements:
- Mathematics R1 or Mathematics (S1+S2)
The special admission requirements may also be covered by equivalent studies from Norwegian upper secondary school or by other equivalent studies. Read more about special admission requirements (in Norwegian).
Formal prerequisite knowledge
IN1000 – Introduction to Object-oriented Programming/INF1000 or IN1900 – Introduction to Programming with Scientific Applications/INF1100 From spring 2020: IN1020 – Introduction to Computer Technology
Recommended previous knowledge
- 9 credits overlap with INF1060 – Introduction to operating systems and data communications (continued).
- 6 credits overlap with INF103 – Fra brukergrensesnitt til maskinvare (discontinued).
- 6 credits overlap with IN147.
- 3 credits overlap with IN147A.
- 3 credits overlap with IN140.
- 3 credits overlap with IN142.
2 hours of lectures and 2 hours of group seminars each week. It will be given mandatory assignments that must be passed to submit midterms and to be allowed to take the final exam. Compulsory attendance at first lecture.
Digital exam. A home exam constitutes 30% of the final grade and a 4 hours long written final exam constitutes 70% of the final grade. Both must be passed to pass the course, and both must be done in the same semester. You must pass all mandatory assignments to be allowed to take the final exam.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: INF1060 - Introduction to operating systems and data communications (continued)
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester. Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.