TEK9530 – Measurable Security for the Internet of Things

Schedule, syllabus and examination date

Choose semester

Changes in the course due to coronavirus

Autumn 2020 we plan for teaching and examinations to be conducted as described in the course description and on semester pages. However, changes may occur due to the corona situation. You will receive notifications about any changes at the semester page and/or in Canvas.

Spring 2020: Teaching and examinations was digitilized. See changes and common guidelines for exams at the MN faculty spring 2020.

Course content

The course provides a methodology for measurable security, privacy, and dependability of industrial systems. Based on e.g. a smart grid example we will establish and develop the methodology to perform a multi-metrics analysis from components to sub-systems to systems. The course will allow you to compare security-related application goals with the results from the system analysis.

Learning outcome

After completing the course you will be able to:

  • Describe application-driven security and establish challenges of sensor-driven systems
  • Provide industrial examples, e.g. Smart Grid and automatic meter readings
  • Establish application-driven security goals as well as the semantics of your system
  • Generate matrices to describe the security impact of components and sub-systems, and perform a multi-metrics analysis to establish the system security
  • Analyze application goal versus system security and suggest improvements
  • Compare security-related application goals with the results from an extended system analysis

Admission to the course

PhD candidates from the University of Oslo should apply for classes and register for examinations through Studentweb.

If a course has limited intake capacity, priority will be given to PhD candidates who follow an individual education plan where this particular course is included. Some national researchers’ schools may have specific rules for ranking applicants for courses with limited intake capacity.

PhD candidates who have been admitted to another higher education institution must apply for a position as a visiting studentwithin a given deadline.

The course is built on basic knowledge of information security

Overlapping courses


The course has full-day lectures/exercises roughly every other week throughout the semester, on average 3 hours lectures/exercises each week. The lectures will be held at ITS, Kjeller, with video conferencing to UiO and other locations for remote teaching.

There are mandatory assignments throughout the semester, which will be part of a portfolio assessment that counts 40% towards your final grade.

As a ph.D-candidate you will in addition deliver an analysis of a complex task in the form of a scientific paper, for which will receive a review in line with conference reviews. The analysis does not directly contribute to your final grade. However, as it is part of the curriculum, and questions related to the analysis may appear on your exam.


The final grade is based on a portfolio assessment which counts 40% of the final grade. In addition there will be an oral exam at the end of the semester which counts for the remaining 60% of the final grade.

In case of many students, the final exam may be held as a written exam; this will be decided early in the semester.

The analysis is in addition to the portfolio assessment, and does not directly contribute to your final grade. However, as it is part of the curriculum, and questions related to the analysis may appear on your exam.

Examination support material

You are allowed the presentations used on the lectures, scientific papers and case studies as well as your own portfolio and analysis for the exam.

Language of examination

Subjects taught in English will only offer the exam paper in English. You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.

Grading scale

Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.

Resit an examination

Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester. Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.

Special examination arrangements, use of sources, explanations and appeals

See more about examinations at UiO

Last updated from FS (Common Student System) Aug. 4, 2020 10:18:19 PM

Facts about this course

Teaching language
Norwegian (English on request)