HMS0504 – Field Safety
Excursions and field work should always be conducted in a safe manner. This course provides you with information on how to do that when you are planning or going on an excursion or conducting field work.
After completing the course you should have knowledge of:
- What policies and procedures apply to fieldwork/excursions
- What you are expected to contribute with prior to and during field work/excursions
- Which insurance schemes that are applicable/non-applicable
- How to conduct risk assessments and how to use appropriate clothing, protective gear and different communication aids
- How to provide first aid in the field
Admission to the course
The course is compulsory for:
- Students taking a course having HMS0504 as a prerequisite
- New students in the following Master´s degree programmes:
The course is an individual online course. The course is available on a smart phone, PC, Mac or tablet. You can access the online course here: ehms.uio.no/#/4/en
You need to be registered for the course and exam in Student Web to complete the online digital exam. You have to wait until the day after you registered for the course to take the test to get a pass.
From the spring semester 2021, transitional arrangements between old and new HSE courses will be discontinued, and old HSE courses will no longer exempt new HSE courses. If you have further questions, please contact MN student information.
You will not be exempt from the HSE courses if you have taken HSE courses previously at another institution. The courses offered by the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences are specific to the University of Oslo.
The online course includes an online digital exam that you need to pass, to pass the course. Please note that you will have to be registered for the course in StudentWeb to complete the exam.
The digital exam is multiple choice and you can take the exam more than once. When you have passed the exam you will receive an email confirming you have passed the course.
If HMS0504 is a degree requirement or a formal prerequisite for any of the courses in your degree, you will not get your degree approved until you have passed the course.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.