ENT4400 – Corporate Innovation Strategies and Project Management
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
The course focuses on entrepreneurship and innovation within established firms (also known as corporate entrepreneurship). The course is broadly scoped covering several important subjects, including how to identify, analyse and pursue entrepreneurial opportunities, how to set up and run innovation projects both individually and as a portfolio, and how to take the particularities of the company and industry most effectively into account. The course uses the corporate entrepreneurship project in ENT4460 – Corporate Entrepreneurship Project as an active and practice-based learning arena for the topics covered in the course.
After completing the course, you will:
- Have a solid understanding about critical issues for entrepreneurship and innovation in a corporate setting, in particular how corporate culture, structure and processes can both limit and enhance a company’s ability to innovate
- Have advanced knowledge on different strategies that facilitate innovation in a corporate setting, and how to manage both individual projects and a portfolio of innovation projects
- Have a solid understanding about different sources and types of innovations as well as important dynamical patterns when new innovations are being developed in an industry
- Have advanced knowledge on defining an innovation strategy including overriding logic and rational, market timing, ecosystem collaborative models and different ways of protecting an innovation
- Be able to analyse and formulate an innovation strategy for a company tailored to the particularities of the company and the industry environment
- Understand the effect and importance of different leadership strategies and management approaches in the field of innovation and entrepreneurship
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
This course is available only for students admitted to the study programme Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management (master's two years).
It is strongly recommended to take ENT4460 – Corporate Entrepreneurship Project together with ENT4400, for the best possible learning outcome.
Recommended previous knowledge
Weekly classes throughout the semester that include lectures, in-class activities and group exercises. In addition, readings and group/individual assignments between classes.
Due to the significant amount of group exercises and in-class activities in this course, 80% attendance of the lectures is mandatory. Completion of mandatory attendance is required in order to pass the course.
The course grade is calculated based on the following components:
- A final group assignment including an oral group presentation accounting for in total 50% of the score. Students in each group are given the same score. Group members who do not fulfill their obligations can be scored individually from the group.
- Individual assignments/quizzes given during the semester accounting for in total 50% of the overall score.
Failing a graded assignment does still allow participation in the remaining exams. All exams and assignments must be taken during the same semester.
Completion of mandatory attendance is required in order to pass the course.
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Students who have a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.