Get your admissions requirements and application deadline for this programme by following our guide.
Check your admission requirements and when to apply
Answer three questions in our admission guide to get
your application deadline
which documents to submit
access to the application portal Søknadsweb
Required academic background (visible to UiO employees only)
You must have a bachelor’s degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor’s degree.
Required specialization and minimum grade requirement
You must have a minimum grade average comparable to a Norwegian C in the required specialization. A Norwegian C is described as a good grade, generally comparable to an American B and a Second Class Upper in the British system. We do not use conversion tables for foreign grades. All foreign education is individually evaluated during the admission process.
Please note that eligible applicants who fulfill the minimum grade requirement will compete for a study place. Please see the section on ranking for more information on selection criteria.
Applicants are required to have specialization, consisting of at least 80 ECTS credits, in one of the following areas:
- Viking and the Middle Ages
- Celtic philology
- Norse philology
- Archaeology, with emphasis on medieval times
- Art history, with emphasis on medieval times
- History, with emphasis on medieval times
- History of religion, with emphasis on medieval times
- Nordic languages and literature, with emphasis on medieval times
Students from the University of Oslo will be qualified if they satisfy one of the following criteria:
- 80–group - Norrøne og keltiske studier (80NORKELT) or
- 80–group - Nordisk: språk, litteratur, retorikk (80NOSPLIRE) and one of the following 40-groups: