ANT2800 – Classical mythology
This course offers an introduction to Greek and Roman mythology through an examination of the gods, goddesses, and heroes presented in the Greek and Roman art and literature. The course looks at the role of mythology in the cultural and religious milieu of antiquity, the relationship between humanity and the supernatural/divine, the moral questions often posed by these stories, and the reception of various myths in later literature, art, and film. The course will also look into the historical development of the study of mythology.
When you have completed this course, you will be able to:
- identify principal gods, goddesses, and heroes from Greek and Roman mythology
- identify some of the ancient literary and artistic sources for classical mythology
- explain the most influential theories about and approaches to classical mythology
- identify and interpret elements of classical mythology in later art, literature, and/or cinema
Formal prerequisite knowledge
There are no prior requirements necessary for this course.
Seminars/lectures, one double session pr. week for 14 weeks.
In order for you to qualify for the final exam, the following compulsory assignment must be approved by the teacher:
- Reflection at the beginning of the semester (1 page, 2300 characters)
- Mid-term paper (2-3 pages, 2300 characters per page)
Some lectures will be podcasted.
Please note that the teaching material consists of podcasts in addition to the syllabus.
4-hour written exam.
In order for you to qualify for the final examination, the compulsory assignment must be approved by the teacher.
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.