FYS4545 – Resonances in Atomic Nuclei
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
Autumn 2020 the exams of most courses at the MN Faculty will be conducted as digital home exams or oral exams, using the normal grading scale. The semester page for your course will be updated with any changes in the form of examination.
The course covers resonance phenomena in atomic nuclei: giant dipole resonances, pygmy resonance and scissor resonance. The course gives an introduction to the theoretical background for these resonances, numerical calculations and how such phenomena are explored experimentally.
After completing the course:
- You will have knowledge of different resonance types in atomic nuclei and how these phenomena are interpreted
- You will acquire the theoretical background for the understanding of resonance phenomena
- Be able to describe experimental methods to study resonance phenomena in atomic nuclei
- Be able to apply codes for numerical calculations of resonances in atomic nuclei.
Admission to the course
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
- 5 credits overlap with FYS9545 – Resonances in Atomic Nuclei.
The teaching will either be offered in the form of intensive teaching at summer schools; 2 weeks with 30 hours of lectures and 30 hours of hands on numerical calculations and student presentations, or as self-study.
Final home exam which counts 100 % towards the finale grade.
When writing your exercises make sure to familiarize yourself with the rules for use of sources and citations.
Breach of these rules may lead to suspicion of attempted cheating.
It will also be counted as one of the three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: FYS9545 – Resonances in Atomic Nuclei
Examination support material
All examination support materials are allowed.
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more: