FYS9239 – Electrical Bioimpedance
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
Autumn 2020 the exams of most courses at the MN Faculty will be conducted as digital home exams or oral exams, using the normal grading scale. The semester page for your course will be updated with any changes in the form of examination.
The course focuses on the passive, electrical properties of biological tissue and how these depend on physiological and anatomical conditions. A thorough introduction to relevant instrumentation, modeling, and data analysis is given, as well as an overview of applications of these methods within healthcare and medicine.
After completing the course:
- you have knowledge about how biological tissues conduct electrical current and how electrochemical processes and relaxation phenomena affect this conductivity
- you can assemble a measurement set-up to make measurements of electrical bioimpedance
- you are familiar with statistical methods to relate measurement data to physiological conditions
- you can choose the right type of electrodes and electrode systems for different measurement situations
- you have knowledge about modeling current distribution in biological tissues, including using the finite element Method
- you can explain "exotic" electrical properties, such as memristance, universality and constant phase element
- you know a variety of applications of bioimpedance measurements in medicine and healthcare
- you have the ability to focus on a specific subject and write an essay on a bioimpedance application
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with FYS4239 – Electrical Bioimpedance.
A mandatory essay must be handed in and approved to take the final exam.
One hour of teaching/colloquium everyother week.
To take the final exam the mandatory essay must be handed inn and approved.
A final oral exam (45 min), weighted 100% of the grade.
It will also be counted as one of the three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: FYS4239 – Electrical Bioimpedance
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more: