FYS9239 – Electrical Bioimpedance
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Changes in the course due to coronavirus Spring 2020
Teaching and examinations will take place digitally. This may result in changes to your schedule, mandatory activities, exam form and grading scale. See updated information on the semester page and in Canvas.
The course focuses on the passive, electrical properties of biological tissue and how these depend on physiological and anatomical conditions. A thorough introduction to relevant instrumentation, modeling, and data analysis is given, as well as an overview of applications of these methods within healthcare and medicine.
After completing the course:
- you have knowledge about how biological tissues conduct electrical current and how electrochemical processes and relaxation phenomena affect this conductivity
- you can assemble a measurement set-up to make measurements of electrical bioimpedance
- you are familiar with statistical methods to relate measurement data to physiological conditions
- you can choose the right type of electrodes and electrode systems for different measurement situations
- you have knowledge about modeling current distribution in biological tissues, including using the finite element Method
- you can explain "exotic" electrical properties, such as memristance, universality and constant phase element
- you know a variety of applications of bioimpedance measurements in medicine and healthcare
- you have the ability to focus on a specific subject and write an essay on a bioimpedance application
Admission to the course
PhD candidates from the University of Oslo should apply for classes and register for examinations through Studentweb.
If a course has limited intake capacity, priority will be given to PhD candidates who follow an individual education plan where this particular course is included. Some national researchers’ schools may have specific rules for ranking applicants for courses with limited intake capacity.
PhD candidates who have been admitted to another higher education institution must apply for a position as a visiting student within a given deadline.
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with FYS4239 – Electrical Bioimpedance.
A mandatory essay must be handed in and approved to take the final exam.
One hour of teaching/colloquium everyother week.
To take the final exam the mandatory essay must be handed inn and approved.
A final oral exam (45 min), weighted 100% of the grade.
It will also be counted as one of the three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: FYS4239 – Electrical Bioimpedance
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed exam at the beginning of the next semester.
New examinations are offered at the beginning of the next semester for students who do not successfully complete the exam during the previous semester.
We do not offer a re-scheduled exam for students who withdraw during the exam.